Generically associate pages

RedactedProfile September 11, 2017

Good day, 

Much like in Jira where one can specify a "Relates To" association with another ticket from anywhere in the database, I was wondering if Confluence itself (or a plugin) can do this with pages?

As of right now I'm not worried about cross-space functionality, just interspace would be fine.

What I'm trying to accomplish here is making a bit of dynamic documentation based on associations. For example, creating a Page for a particular website's profile, and in the right sidebar is a flat list of associated pages regarding the technology that runs the site, and another list of associated pages in the same right sidebar that lists the microservices it uses. And when you click on a profile for one of the Microservices on that page, would go to the Microservices profile page that in its right column lists all the websites it's associated with.

But all I (ideally) had to do on either page is set up a "Relates To" association between them, and the "List" widget would be like "Associated Pages : Filtered by Label"

Disclosure: The way I have it set up right now is a little less than ideal but mostly gets the point across. I downloaded a plugin from the marketplace that lets me put in a widget that gives me a flat list of pages linking TO the page filtered by label. The problem here is it's a one way linking. I go to, say, the websites profile page and in the "Microservices" column, manually create a "Link" to the Microservice page. Now when clicking on that Microservice page, it shows the website that linked to it.

So it's about 4/5ths of the way there in terms of what I'm looking for and will work for the time being. But I'd rather not have to create an in-page link at all, and I'd like it so that whether I'm looking at the Microservice or the Website profile pages, I can edit that association. Right now the way it is, I have to remember which page I made the link on originally, and edit the entry there.

Anyone seen a plugin that does this? Or knows how to do it by just messing with Confluence itself?

We're on Confluence 5.10.7.

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2017

Your use case is interesting. It sounds like you are already using labels so I was wondering if this macro would help as a List widget: Related Labels Macro

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events