Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding Licensed Users

Chris Purser January 15, 2021

This page here

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Where-can-I-find-the-list-of-licensed-users-for-Confluence/qaq-p/1215593

says to do several things, but its not working. 

"Tail your <home-directory>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log file." specifically is elusive. 

There is no page at my "<home-directory>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log" and so I'm assuming that <home-directory> itself is ambiguous or simply unclear.

Other than the ROOT domain where my confluence is hosted, what would my 'home-directory" be?

Still pretty shocking that it's not a core function to filter the user directory to show all users taking a seat...

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2021

I might be missing a point but for a brief overview of licensed user seats isn't there the license page (General Configuration >> License details)

A better explanation is to be found here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/managing-your-confluence-license-313467774.html

So, my assumption would be that in your case the counter of licensed seats deviates from the sum of all users able to use Confluence as per membership in group "confluence-users", is this understood correctly?

Chris Purser January 17, 2021

Well, it could be that simple if every confluence user was required to be a member of that specific group but it doesn’t work that way. You can make many groups that consume seats and you can add users to one or many of those groups and they will consume a seat themselves. Only needing a count is easy, and as you mention. But getting a list is nearly impossible. 
Imagine I wanted to scrub a couple of stale users to make room for a couple new ones without having to buy a whole bank of new users. There’s no good way to investigate this at all. It’s kinda nuts. Thanks.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2021

When you install Confluence, you have to tell it what to use for its <home directory>, but I know that's not fantastically clear.  I tend to say <confluence home> as I think it more strongly implies the application has a home, and also matches the language when you look at the system information.

This directory is on the disk on the server - it's not a "page".  I don't think anyone would write "page" when they mean "directory", or vice-versa.

To see everyone who has access (and this has been available since version 1), go to Admin -> Users and read the list.  This is actually not quite the answer, as it lists all known users.  You'll need to look at the global permission for "group(s) that can log in", and then name that group in the user list filter.  

Chris Purser January 15, 2021

Yeah, I was concerned about it being a developer only feature, or hidden research piece of info. Thank you for confirming.

There truly appears to be no User Interface view of this data. Only a command line or hidden system file type of research. Hard to imagine.

I'm aware of the way to get there. It requires navigation manually through every permission group, jotting down lists of users in those groups ( we have 13 groups with license permissions ). So in order to see a paired down list of the users we have with license seats, I have to go into each of those groups, copy out the users, add them all manually to a list, and then deduplicate that list, also manually, so I can have an accurate count and see which users are taking seats. We also use JSD which means that there are thousands more users than we have seats for them. With the incredible power Jira imparted on their query searches, it's still shocking that something so simple and useful is so hard to get to.

No disrespect or ungratefulness intended, but I'm gonna leave this unanswered for now, as there seems to be no real answer so far, just a long workaround.

Thanks for the help, mate. 

Much appreciated.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events