Find and replace text in confluence

Igor Popov September 19, 2019

How can I replace text in a confluence page? The tutorial refers to the blue toolbar at the top with the search button, but there is no such toolbar anymore?

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2019

Hey, thanks for becoming part of our community, @Igor Popov !

Now, let me try to address your question. You said that that the “search and replace” function is not available for you when using the new editor.

This is correct. In our new editing experience, the find function was removed since it is provided by all browsers that are compatible with Confluence.

The good news is that its return is planned on our Roadmap document. Here, take a look:

This feature request is also reported here:

I encourage you to go into that report to vote and watch it. Voting helps increasing the report visibility and watching will keep you up to date with everything there! Let our teams know how important this is for your environment.

To try and address your question “Why my user interface is different?”, I can show you the following:

Your interface is different due to the fact that you are running the new Confluence editing experience, the Fabric Editor.  

Let us hear your thoughts Igor! Looking forward to your reply.

Igor Popov October 22, 2019

Hi @Diego 

Thank you for solving the mystery. Chrome doesn't have "search and replace" function by default which means I have to install a third-party extension to compensate for the removed functionality. 

How can I switch to the old editor as I am not happy to use an inferior interface compare to others? This also makes it very confusing when I try to follow how-to guides...

Like # people like this
laura_white February 25, 2021

@Diego Find + Replace is an important tool. Can we please add it to the new editor?

Like # people like this
Felisha Booker June 29, 2021

agreed.

Alberto Ferrari August 30, 2022

This is plain incredible.

Like # people like this
Alex Sarafian November 24, 2022

Hi @Diego

Having run into this issue, I also want to mention the the browser doesn't process the content of macros. I remember from the past, I could change with confluenc's find and replace the text in a `/status` macro for example.

Like Keith Alexander-Buckley likes this
Iain Davidson September 1, 2023

Would love to see the feature "search and replace text string" in Confluence also.  I have a 100+ replacements in the text, now I have to do it manually? Yikes.

Like Amir Dori likes this
tfetner February 3, 2024

crazy Atlassian train.... one of the most basic technical writing functions and it has been removed?  Having to edit dozens x dozens of import gremlins one at a time.

Like Stavros_Rougas_EasyApps likes this
Stavros_Rougas_EasyApps February 5, 2024

@tfetnerplus the Find and Replace only ever worked at the page level. Wasn't good enough for us so we built this Find and Replace app that works at the space level.

It's also one of the features of our suite of apps called Easy Toolbox.

4 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2019

Hi @Igor Popov ,

You can find/replace in the upper right corner of the page.TIM截图20190920155130.png

Igor Popov September 22, 2019

I don't have this button in my confluence cloud, please see my screenshot

http://tinyurl.com/y33qmz8l

Test - MortgageRates Public - Confluence.png

Like # people like this
Igor Popov October 2, 2019

@Ollie Guan Why my user interface is different?

Michael Litner April 12, 2022

Press Ctrl-f and then this "Find&Replace" box will appear

Like Greg Popp likes this
Nikolay Rayanov April 12, 2022

In chrome it doesn't appear. :)

Michael Litner April 19, 2022

This is the "search and replace" box that was automatically opened on Chrome, Wind 10

https://ibb.co/GnQ4HtQ

1 vote
Jeffry Gamba October 2, 2019

Have you tried using "ctrl + f"?

Igor Popov October 3, 2019

yep, first thing

Jeffry Gamba October 3, 2019

@Igor Popov , okay. Because if the ctrl + f is not working, you can try by doing that in the source code of your confluence page. If you can see an "<>" icon in your page, click it and then you can do the find and replace. 

Are you using Confluence Server?? or cloud?image.png

Like # people like this
Nenad Ikonomovski January 25, 2023

Thank you, @Jeffrey Gamba! That worked!

0 votes
Stavros_Rougas_EasyApps September 29, 2023

We needed to make bulk changes across our cloud docs space, example when Atlassian changed now something is named or works so we created Find and Replace by Easy Apps.

Anyone can use it, pretty simple, no need to understand CQL, which I don't personally know.

We ended up rebuilding it so it works for huge spaces. Turns out some cloud spaces are enormous, like an old server one (might have migrated).

0 votes
Jessie Wang_ScriptRunner_The Adaptavist Group
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 28, 2023

If you have ScriptRunner for Confluence Cloud you can find and replace text across your entire space with one click.

There's a script you can copy and paste into the Script Console and run. It is available here: https://library.adaptavist.com/entity/find-and-replace-text-across-space

If you want to try ScriptRunner we offer a 30 day free trial in the Marketplace.

0 votes
Lloyd Jones
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2023

For Mac users:
"command" + "f" while in editing mode will surface the function to search & replace text.

2023-01-24_14-22-56.png

0 votes
Phil Speer March 9, 2022

In the newer editor, it seems like you can find and replace on a single page using ctrl + h.
Hope this helps!

0 votes
Nikolay Rayanov February 1, 2022

I cannot find this functionality on Confluence Cloud as well. Is it still on Roadmap? I want to edit multiple spaces and replace specific words with other words.

Phil Speer March 9, 2022

It seems to work when editing a single page. Try ctrl + h
Not very intuitive, but it worked for me!

Nikolay Rayanov March 10, 2022

Thank you, Phil!

Unfortunately, Ctrl + H opens my browser history. I need to do a replacement on multiple pages. On a single page, it's pretty straightforward with the default browser search.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events