Empty values in Confluence chart macro

Matt Block December 18, 2013

I am trying to create a burndown chart in Confluence. The main problem I have with the display is that empty values are dipslaying as 0 on the chart. I want the axis to continue as I have an expected burndown line and actual burndown line, but I don't want empty values to display for the actual burndown line. Is there a way to get empty values to not display on the chart?

NOTE: I'm only interested in learning if this is possible in Confluence using the chart macro. I'm not interested in other paid macros or discussing how to do this in another tool (JIRA, Excel, etc). I already know how to solve the problems there.

5 answers

1 vote
Daniel Hodson March 24, 2014

Wait, I am a genius ;-)

{chart:type=line|title=Burndown|yLabel=Points|xLabel=Sprint 
|dataDisplay=false|dataOrientation=vertical} 
||Sprint || Estimate ||
| 1       | 75        |
| 2       | 60        |
| 3       | 45        |
| 4       | 30        |
| 5       | 15        |
| 6       | 0         |

||Sprint || Actual    ||
| 1       | 75        |
| 2       | 55        |
| 3       | 42        |
| 3       | 42        |
| 3       | 42        |
| 3       | 42        | 

{chart}

david_frink October 17, 2016

Thanks, your example helped me.  I was working on a burn-up chart.  I did find that (at least in confluence cloud) you don't have to duplicate the values for sprint 3.  You can just have one table with sprints 1-6 (or days 1-10 or whatever) and then another table with only the sprints/days for which you have value and it will work.

Deleted user July 30, 2018

@Daniel Hodson1 that's a brilliant idea indeed, worked for me for making a burndown chart. Thanks!

0 votes
Andrey Khaneev _StiltSoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2019

You can try Chart from Table macro (Table Filter and Charts app) - it doesn't interpret empty values as zeros.

0 votes
Sergey Korostelev March 7, 2019

Same issue!!! How solve problem?

0 votes
Daniel Hodson March 24, 2014

Hi Matt - fighting the exact same problem. Did you find a solution?

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2013

If I remember correctly, I don't think so. Can you post a simple example that shows the problem?

Matt Block January 5, 2014

So an example would be a chart based off this table...

Day of Sprint,Points Remaining,Guideline

If this were my burndown chart and it was currently day 4. I would like to see the line stop after the 3rd day. Instead it assumes 0 for blank values so the line drops to 0 on day 4.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events