Edit in Word without embedding entire document

Katherine Ramsey June 11, 2014

I would like to have a list of Word documents on a page and have an "Edit in Word" or "Edit in Office" option instead of the option to download as a read only. I know this is available if you go to the Attachments page, but I'd like to be able to do it directly from the page instead of the attachments page. Is that possible? I don't want to display them, just have "Edit in Word" option.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2014

There basically isn't one if it is a file list on a page in front of the attachments page. I would recommend the following:

1. Change the list link to be a child page that does display the document
  2. On the child page use the View File macro to display the document.
    1. Note: if you want the document to be readily downloadable by those that open the page, insert a file link directly above the View File macro. Set the link text in the macro to be something like "Download this document" so the reader doesn't have to scroll to the bottom to find a download link
  3. Don't use the "Edit" button at the top of the page; that will edit the Wiki Page. There will be an "Edit Document" link at the top of the embedded document. That one will edit in Office.

Also, by taking this approach, you get the added advantage for users that just want to view the document without download, edit, etc, to be able to just view it on a page and only download if they want to instead of being forced to do so.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events