Easy download of attachments

Christoph Kuhnke November 6, 2019

Currently Confluence and Jira (both cloud version) only enable to "click" attachments. 

Unfortunately modern browsers (or is it the Atlassian software?) only offer *very* limited display capabilities. In fact most attachments are rendered more or less unreadable. 

So I *really* prefer and was happy in the past to be able to download attachments and to display them in a proper native OS application. Even this might involve M$ office apps :(

Unfortunately the easy download (right click, save link as) has been overlayed and broken by the "new fancy Atlassian GUI features".

Aaargh!

Guys: did you read W3C documents once in a while?

I mean this has been defined, standardized, implemented, adopted by millions
of users world wide in a very sound, transparent, consistent, uniform and
generic way.

Only to make Atlassian come and think their ideology of a GUI would be better?
Come on! This is really annoying. Please bring back my web 2.0. I need those
conventions and features to get actual work done, you know? All the new
hanky-panky-itchy-scratchy-clicky-rainbow cream is just standing in the way
and making all our lifes harder.

So, please, sometimes less is really much, much more!
Please remove that blinky, shakey GUI crap and allow us all to go back to
work.

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2019

Hello again, @Christoph Kuhnke ! I see your current hardship and I can tell you that this is perfectly understandable.

As I stated in your other post, we do value feedback that is provided. We also work with the provided feedback, it goes somewhere and someone does read it.  Here is a link to the other post:

Atlassian aims to improve, innovate and provide the best experience within the platform as possible. We are always working to get that feedback rolling and understand the user base as a whole and how we can provide to you all.

Another example of feedback driven change is this:

Here is an excerpt from the page:

We heard from you that our existing navigation made it difficult for you to easily find your way around Confluence. You may remember in July, we recruited users to give us feedback on a new navigation UI. Thanks to 300 of you who participated! Overwhelmingly, feedback was positive - over 95% of early users preferred the new navigation to the current on

Our software objective is for it to be accessible by everyone, not only knowledgeable users all while keeping the powerful tools that hardcore users need. This is why feedback is important, we need to understand two or even more sides of the customer base so we can direct our application correctly.

I can, and will, redirect your feedback to some of our Product Managers. This does not guarantee that some kind of action or contact will be pursued right after or at all. But we need to keep all the information and user experience within our feedback “database”.

I would like to address the part where you said “So I *really* prefer and was happy in the past to be able to download attachments and to display them in a proper native OS application. Even this might involve M$ office apps”. You could take a look at our Companion App and check if meets your environment’s requirements of functionality:

As a last request from my part. Do you think that it would be possible for us to summarize which workflows and changes have been affecting your product experience negatively? What I can filter from both posts that you sent is this:

• Attachment display options
  • File preview
  • Opening files locally
  • Downloading files

Let me know if there is something else, Christoph. Would love to hear from you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events