Does Confluence still have the 'placeholder text' macro?

garrett.lee August 17, 2020

Looking at a past question asked: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Adding-instructional-text-to-templates/qaq-p/804870?tempId=eyJvaWRjX2NvbnNlbnRfbGFuZ3VhZ2VfdmVyc2lvbiI6IjIuMCIsIm9pZGNfY29uc2VudF9ncmFudGVkX2F0IjoxNTk3NzMxOTk5NzYwfQ%3D%3D

We are trying to add placeholder text to our organization's templates, so team members don't have to highlight the text and override/delete. It looks like there is a past with this functionality and Confluence docs, but Confluence might keep taking this functionality away. 

The help articles seem to highly outdated and don't reflect any current labeling inside the tool. Any help would be great!

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2020

Hello Garrett,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. It's nice to meet you!

If your template editor is using the new Confluence editor, then you'll find the Placeholder text macro under the + sign menu. 

Some templates might still be using the legacy editor. For these, you will instead find a menu item with a page icon, and it's called Instructional text instead.

Have a look at the examples I sent Bob in this question: When I edit a template, I do not see any template variables, etc. 

By the way, this macro is only available in the template editor. So if any of your users try to add it when editing a page in Confluence, it won't be possible.

Can you let me know if this helps, or if you still have any trouble adding the macro?

Take care,

Shannon

garrett.lee August 25, 2020

Hi Shannon!

Thank you so much for your reply. This was super helpful and our designer was able to locate the feature on the template editor. Thanks again!!

Like Jordan Berkley likes this
Jana Rasmussen June 21, 2021

@Shannon S - Can you help me with a question about placeholder text?

I have been using it but on June 1, 2021 was building a template for my team and when I type "/place..." the macro for Placeholder no longer appears in my list.  I am not sure why this is the case and am trying to understand what happened to it.  We have COnfluence Cloud.  Here is the original question I asked (see the video to see my demonstration of what is happening):

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/What-happened-to-Placeholder-Text/qaq-p/1711337

UPDATE: I re-read your comment in which you state that the Placeholder Text is only an option when building a Template. I have gone to my Templates and confirmed that I can still use Placeholder Text in the Template. Thank you!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events