When I edit a template, I do not see any template variables, etc.

Bob Sovers September 4, 2019

I am using Confluence Cloud, and have been granted space administrator privs, but even though I can create and edit templates, I cannot get to any of the functionality to add variables, or add instructional text.  (In fact, I'm not even sure where they are supposed to be accessed from, since the Template help just says to "Choose Template > New Variable...", but I don't HAVE that any where on my page!)

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

2 answers

2 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2019

Hello Bob,

Happy to help you with this!

It depends on the editor you're using. The old editor would've looked like this:

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 15.37.09.png

But on the new editor, you'll see this menu:

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 15.39.00.png

Note that Instructional Text has been renamed to Placeholder Text.

The documentation you're following is probably for the old editor. The documentation will be completely updated as the new editor is rolled out.

I hope that helps, but if you have any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Shannon

Bob Sovers September 19, 2019

Thank you, I have that item in my menu.   I would think that documentation of new features would be released along with those features and not so long afterward.  The new editor has been out for over 6 months now.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2019

Hello Bob,

Thank you for confirming that! Many users still don't have the new editor applied to their entire instance, which is why the older documentation is still around. It would be helpful if there were documentation for both editors, and it is something that's currently being worked on.

Take care, and do let me know if I can help you with anything further!

Regards,

Shannon

Joachim Appel March 3, 2020

entered by mistake

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 3, 2020

Hi @Joachim Appel,

Sure thing! It's right here, available in this menu:

NewVariable.png

Regards,

Shannon

Like Joachim Appel likes this
Joachim Appel March 3, 2020

yes, thanks. I must have been blind (or some brownie secretly let it appear after I couldn’t find it 😁).

Right after I posted my question I miraculously could see it all of a sudden and wanted to take my question back - but obviously it was too late ...

Like Shannon S likes this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2020

Hi Joachim,

No brownies here, to my knowledge, although you never know... 😅I'm glad you asked anyway in case someone else missed it! 

Take care, and feel free to let me know if you need any further assistance!

Shannon

0 votes
Waylon Palmer December 20, 2020

I'm having trouble finding 'Placeholder Text' Any suggestions ?

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 10.54.05 am.png

Charlie Edwin January 27, 2021

me too. @Shannon S  any suggestion on this?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 17, 2021

Hi @Charlie Edwin and @Waylon Palmer! My apologies for not seeing your question earlier. I've been away for a while.

I can confirm that Placeholder text macro is still an available macro in the template editor. It's not available in the page editor. Can you ensure you are editing a template and not a page? If you are editing a template and don't have the option, please raise a ticket with Atlassian Support, and we will investigate.

Thank you, and take care!

Shannon 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events