Does Confluence still allow admins to create User Macros?

Alexander Poole November 27, 2018

I've seen a few tutorials on how to create a user macro by clicking the "User Macros" tab in the admin panel. In my admin panel all I see is a tab called "Macro Usage" which doesn't let me create a new macro if I go there. Has Confluence removed this feature?

I'm trying to create a macro for filtering a table. I don't want to pay for the Table Filter plugin.

4 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Carol Jones November 28, 2018

What version are you running?  I'm able to see the Create a User Macro listed within the User Macros area in version 6.6.2.

Something you might want to check is I bet that feature is a System Administrator feature where Atlassian has broken out the Confluence Administrator and System Administrator permissions to allow for more Confluence Administrators without running the risk of including all of the System Administrator features.  To check this, navigate to Global Permissions within the Confluence administration area.  You'll see permissions broken out into four categories: Personal Space, Create Space(s), Confluence Administrator, System Administrator.

Alexander Poole November 28, 2018

Turns out the problem is that I'm on Confluence Cloud and this feature isn't supported for the Cloud version.

Thanks for your help!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2018

Hi @Alexander Poole,

Are you using the Confluence Cloud?

Confluence Cloud do not support user-defined macros. You can refer to the following link:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Answers-Developer-Questions/Creating-User-Macros-in-Confluence/qaq-p/477369

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2018

Cloud, no, Server and Data Centre, yes.

Alexander Poole November 28, 2018

yes, it appears i am using Confluence Cloud. Guess I'm stuck missing out on that great feature. 

Thanks for your help!

0 votes
Marie Sirrenberg September 3, 2019

Hi @Ollie Guan@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Bill Bailey 

I am trying to test the user macro on my local server instance. I use Confluence Version 6.14.1 and I am also not able to see the User Macro function as described above, also as System Administrator. Do you have any other ideas?

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2019

I have never used the version you mentioned, but from the Atlassian Support Document that this feature still exists in version 6.14.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf614/writing-user-macros-965546185.html

You'll need System Administrator permissions to create and manage user macros.

1.Go to > General Configuration > User Macros
2.Choose Create a User Macro
3.Enter the macro details (see table below)
4.Click Add

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2019

Make sure you are indeed a System Admin and not a Confluence Admin. Only the former can create user macros. More details here: global-permissions-overview

0 votes
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2018

An (untested/unverified) solution could be to spin up a local server instance of Confluence. Then develop and test your user macro there. Then package the macro as a plugin, so that it can be installed in the cloud.

I am not sure what would prevent you from using this method.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2018

User macros are very different to macros from Apps - you'd probably be able to work out the logic, but translating that into a Connect Apps is pretty much a rewrite!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events