Do shared page links expire?

Brent Engwall March 4, 2021

When you go to "Share" and get a shortened link, are those shortened links only good for a certain timeframe?

No info on this is in the documentation: 

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/share-a-page-or-blog-post/ 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2021

Hi @Brent Engwall,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

No, that's not the case. The normal link (from the URL line in the browser) depends on the Page Title - if the page name changes, the link may not work. The shortened link is only a permanent link - when the page name changes or the page is moved elsewhere, the link will still be active. 

Pavel

Hi @Pavel Junek , 

So the shortened links do not expire?

We are just trying to determine the most "permanent" way of sharing page urls external to Confluence at our company in the event that that page titles may change.  From what you are saying, the shortened links are best.  I just want to make sure that they do not expire.

(As a side note, I do know that when you change a page title the url changes, but there is some type of cross-reference or redirect that enables the old url to point to the new url.  Any idea if that x-ref or redirect will expire?)

Thanks!

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2021

The short link doesn't expire - it never happened to me.

You can try Cloud App - External Share for Confluence, but it may not be a long-term solution if Vendor terminates its Application.

Pavel 

Thank you so much @Pavel Junek .  Brent

0 votes
Sharon Helms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2021

Hi @Brent Engwall , 

A couple of other options might also work for you: 

1. You can share a page link URL up to the unique page identifier number, leaving off the page title, and it will continue to work even if you change the page title. For example: https ://XYZ.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/XYZ/pages/401604636/
  2. In the ... More Actions menu > Advanced details > Page information you'll see a Tiny Link that you can use that shouldn't expire either.

Hope these help! Best wishes, Sharon

Thank you Sharon.  I didn't know that second option.  Good to know.  Brent

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events