Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do links break when the NAME of a Confluence space is modified?

Angela Boston
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2020

I've seen a number of posts regarding links, but was unable to locate a post regarding links when the space name changes. 

We'd like to rename some of our spaces.  If we rename them do links break?  We link to these spaces from all sorts of locations and would not be able to maintain updating them all if the links break.

Please advise. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dominic Lagger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2020

Hi  @Angela Boston 

There are 2 types of links:

• Full link 
  • Tiny links

The Full Link has the space key in it, like: 

/wiki/spaces/CPJ/pages/3145795/Link1

The Tiny Link doesn't have the space key in it, like:

/wiki/x/QwAw

These links are great for sharing, like mails oder text messages. In Confluence, I always recommend to use the text links (Direct Links).

You can't change the space key. So it doesn't matter, when you change the space name, because the space name isn't a part of the link.

Regards, 

Dominic

Angela Boston
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2020

Wonderful.  Exactly what I needed.  Thank you, Dominic. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events