Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling emojis

Gauthier Östervall March 26, 2020

I use Confluence professionally, where emojis are nearly never welcome.

Typing "(50 %)" results in a smiley face, which is ridiculous.

How do I change this default behavior? I still want to be able to auto-complete @-mentions and the like. (I've seen this.)

6 answers

5 votes
Joel February 16, 2023

I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but I want to echo the opening comment:

I use Confluence professionally, where emojis are nearly never welcome.

This is a beautiful and succinct expression of the issue.

Does anyone use this software for reasons other than professionally

If someone wants to pepper their documentation with emojis, I don't care...but please make the capability OPT-IN, not default behavior. Good grief.

Gauthier Östervall February 17, 2023

Did you feel the sarcasm? ;) :O :joy:

Team Infrastructure February 21, 2024

You will throw away 80% of the new confluence development ...

I also second 

I use Confluence professionally, where emojis are nearly never welcome.

3 votes
Stephen McCafferty
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 2, 2023

Agree with the above comments. I want to turn off emojis complete. In my case, typing "(off)" is giving me a lightbulb emoji when I just want to clarify what happens when a setting is off. I do want to use all the other shortcuts that add actual value.

Please allow us to completely disable emojis auto-replace. I'd much rather have to manually add the emoji myself for the one time a year that it's useful than have to fight the system when typing prose - which is surely what the system is supposed to be designed for. This isn't Twitter social media, and having perfectly standard texts for a knowledge base be replaced by fun graphical gimmicks isn't useful.

1 vote
Jeff Wilson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 13, 2024

This is way annoying - If you are using Confluence as your documentation Wiki. the last thing you need is emojis. Who thougt of this? I certainly don't pay the money I pay for licenses for happy faces. In my case I was documenting drive letters and every time I typed D:, I got 2024-03-13_16-57-08.jpg

Any way, as David Allen notes, pressing CTRL-Z immediately after reverts the emoji back to text. I also found that typing my drive letter as d: and the replacing d with D: had the same effect.

This "Feature" is really a pain in the ya yas if you are trying to perform the all too mundane task of using Confluence for documentation, because documentation, although necessary is really boring. It doesn't help that Confluence is making it annoying too.

1 vote
Doug.Yu August 25, 2022

I agree with Gauthier, and I found a workaround.  

For instance, typing (X) creates an emoji,

but if I type (X ), no emoji is created. Then i go back and remove the space before the closing parens, and I get (X)

Pekko Vehviläinen January 17, 2023

Thanks, worked for me!

0 votes
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 6, 2020
Gauthier Östervall April 7, 2020

Hi! As mentioned, I don' t want to disable other auto-complete functions, such as @ mentions and the like.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Wade Tracy _Boise_ ID_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2020

Sadly, based on this request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-23638

I'm guessing that there isn't a way short of somebody creating a plugin.

Wade

David Allen July 17, 2023

It's still very annoying and I agree it should be possible to disable while leaving other shortcuts in-place.  Typing control-Z immediately after it displays the emoji turns the text back into what you wanted.

Like Michel Remacle likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events