Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Wiki Markup

santoshkpradhan October 6, 2015

Hi,

I am a new user to Confluence, and it involves maintaining my documents. It is really painful when I see 'Wiki Markup' displaying completely random thing in markup that I have no idea about.

I just need to disable this thing for my User account! I really hate it to the maximum when its a huge document with lot of tables.

Please help!

3 answers

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2015

Don't these Profile Settings help in this case: 

• Disable Autocomplete in the Editor, where it allows links to be inserted with the trigger [ and images with the trigger !
  • Disable Autoformatting in the Editor, where it allows wiki-formatted text to be converted to its Rich Text equivalent (e.g. "h1. title" for a heading).
0 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2015

Hi Santosh,

If you want to, you can replace the wiki markup with normal Confluence editor formatting.  Here's what you need to do:

1. Copy the entire content of the "Wiki Markup" macro (a single one; you have to do this one at a time).
  2. Put the cursor directly above the macro (or delete it).
  3. Click on "Insert", "Markup", and paste the wiki formatted text into the field.  It should show a preview on the right.  You need to make sure that "Confluence wiki" is selected from the dropdown box.  Then click "Insert"
  4. If you didn't delete the macro in step 2, delete it.

Now the wiki markup content should be in Confluence editor format.  You should check with the person who made the page originally if there was any reason behind leaving the content in wiki markup, but nowadays there really is not much reason to do so, since it has been phased out since the beginning of Confluence 5, which has already been a few years smile

If you find out you made a mistake or it doesn't display correctly or whatever, then you can simply go to the page history and restore the last version.  That's the beauty of having a wiki laugh

0 votes
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2015

You can't disable it, and it can be really helpful when you need to do something custom. But more importantly, if you are seeing markup in edit mode, then that means that someone before you used it; if it could be disabled, you would lose content.

Simon Waters March 7, 2018

But the editor doesn't preserve text with the markup correctly anyway.

So simply editing a comment in JIRA, and saving it, can corrupt the text if you accidentally trigger a text effect substitution (I think server side).

I'm raise a bug, but basically let me switch it off please, quietly corrupting my text is confusing and annoying, especially as I was just trying to type a paragraph.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events