Customers need to login to Confluence before access the Knowledge Base from the Service Desk Portal

Hi!

I'm using JIRA Service Desk 3.6.4 and Confluence 6.3.3. Customers need to login to Confluence before they can see knowledge base articles from the Service Desk Portal. Instead, the search bar is working fine, showing the results found.

I configured the link between both applications using the OAuth impersonation.

Confluence uses the User Directory from JIRA.

I would expect that customers login only in the Service Desk Portal. Anyone knows if this is the expected behavior?

2 answers

1 vote

Hi Gwido,

Thank you for this I've looked into it, and it appears to be related to the shared user management, per this comment:

There are workarounds available - namely using Crowd as your shared user base with cookie-based SSO ( https://www.atlassian.com/software/crowd)
You may be able to use alternative SSO approaches, but these have not been tested.

from JSDSERVER-3643.

Regarding the issue, it's being tracked as an improvement in JSDSERVER-3751, as users with these settings will only be able to search in the Knowledge Base and not open it directly without logging into Confluence.

My recommendation is to review the JSDSERVER-3643 ticket for workarounds and watch and vote on JSDSERVER-3751 which hopes to resolve that issue.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

0 vote

Hi Gwido,

In your Knowledge Base setting, what do you have listed in the section under Viewing Access from the Serving Customers with a Knowledge Base article?

This is the section which determines if a user needs to have Confluence access or not when accessing a specific knowledge base space.

Kind Regards,
Shannon 

Hi Shannon,

Customers can see the contents of the knowledge base but only after login to Confluence. So they need to login twice, first from the Customers Portal and then from Confluence.

I configured the Viewing access for all active users and customers.

Thanks

Thanks Gwido.

Can you have a look at part C) Configuration in Confluence, step 2,  on Guide to link Knowledgebase to JIRA Service Desk for Unlicensed Users and also ensure that this is set properly?

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Yes, I have 'Use Confluence' enabled but 'View User Profiles' disabled for Unlicensed Access. Do I need to enable both options?

Thanks!

No, I don't think that's necessary. The Can Use part is the important step.

How about step 3? Can you show us how your Space Permissions look?

1. Ensure that in the Space Permissions page the Any active user can view this space panel is visible.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Yes, I think I have it enabled:

confluence_ks_permissions.png

That looks right.

So they search the article in Service Desk, click the link, and it opens, but they have to login again? Or are you having them go directly to Confluence?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

In the Costumer Portal when I click the link it shows the following page:

kb_login_from_costumers_panel.png

@Guido, did you added the group "customers" manual? And do you create new users in that group?

Because when i create a user, a license will be used!

thx!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

385 views 21 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you