Custom Template not saving?

Amanda Wright November 7, 2016

Trying to make a custom template for making new projects, and it won't allow me to save. Well I can hit save, but it doesn't capture my changes. 

2 answers

1 vote
Olivia Ghobrial November 7, 2016

I am also having the same issue. Matter is quite urgent!

Kevin Greenhalgh November 18, 2016

We are also having problems with templates. We have found that copy and paste from one source to the template is not saving. That said we have found that taking smaller amounts of copy and pasting and saving is more successful.

Either way there is an issue here, specifically around copy paste, then save.

Like Thibault viel likes this
Olivia Ghobrial November 20, 2016

Hi Kevin, 

Were you copy-pasting an image in your content? In our instance we found that this was the problem, and removing the image from the content allowed the template to save. Instructions for the best way to add an image to a template are at this link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf57/creating-a-template-701434853.html#CreatingaTemplate-Imagesandotherattachments

Like # people like this
Kevin Greenhalgh November 21, 2016

Hi Olivia,

It was an image causing the save to fail. We found this out by trial and error, copying smaller sections and saving each time. Really annoying that it cleared all the content rather than showing a broken link for the image.

Thanks

Maybe this is something the team can resolve.

Kevin

Olivia Ghobrial November 22, 2016

Yes it is quite annoying. When I contacted Atlassian they created an improvement request in response though, here is the link below if you would like to vote for or watch the issue: 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-45200

Cheers,
Olivia

Mike October 17, 2018

this is still an issue in 2018

Gaston Real November 21, 2018

I confirm this is still an issue. Removing the images makes it work. I wasted 2 hours until I could figure out. I was lucky to find this thread :-)

Like # people like this
Des Lemmon-Warde February 28, 2019

Was losing work while copying and pasting so re-did it manually and still losing work when saving in Templates. Totally random, sometimes saves, sometimes loses everything. Thinking of not using Templates as this is really unreliable.

Mike McNamara March 22, 2019

Definitely recreated the issue when pasting in an image into a template. This really isn't a bug, it just works differently for templates than regular pages. Perhaps an error would have been nice, or saving everything else instead of losing it all.

The proper way to include an image is to add it by reference. This page below has the details. Basically you need to add the image you want to use to another page on Confluence. For example, I added our company logo to the main page of the space I am adding the template to. Then, when you edit the template, in the location you want the image, select the Insert Files and Images button, and choose the option to Search on Other Pages. Select the page with your image (in my case the main page of the space). The image will appear (along with others if they exist on that page), and you can select the image needed to insert it onto your template.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf64/create-a-template-936510776.html#CreateaTemplate-Imagesandotherattachments

Like Florian Luber likes this
Diego Marzo June 12, 2019

It is pretty amazing that for more than 3 years we have this bug, I lost a good hour of work just because I had some pictures in the template.

No errors, it "saves" the page... empty

How someone can say this is not a bug? If you cannot copy and paste, then it should not be allowed, or it should show up an error OR in worst case scenario, it doesn't save the pictures, not an internal crash somewhere without user feedback...

Not impressed

Like # people like this
Corey Snyder March 24, 2020

Still an issue in 2020.  

Like Karatemom likes this
0 votes
Maria Angermaier October 14, 2020

Does this apply as well to copy paste other content? For example I have build with a few macros a template in another page and wanted to copy & paste it afterwards in my template and it does not get saved. Now I ll keep my template page and will copy all future pages out of my "template" page but it does for sure not full fill the requirements

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events