Creating Jira issues from Confluence

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2018

I'm having an issue with most issue types when creating them from a Confluence page. Here are my steps:

1. Select a block of text in Confluence (Cloud) 
  2. Hover over the selected text and click the Jira Macro button
  3. Select the correct project and use the issue type "Epic."
  4. Fill out hte rest of the form for the issue and click Create
  5. Repeat with another block of text, using the same project but making the issue type a Story or Task.
  6. Publish the page.

When viewing the published page I can see the new button linking to the Epic in Jira, but the button for the Story or Task issue types does not show. 

The issues are created in Jira. To add them to the page I have to edit it and insert a Jira Macro for these issue types. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm hoping it's a setting I've missed....

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2018

It looks like this is a bug; several users on my instance have had the same issue for a couple of weeks. 

Workaround: Use the edit view of the Confluence page and create the issue via the Jira Issue macro on the toolbar. 

Here is the bug report: CONFCLOUD-61608

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2018

Great find on that bug report! Wish I had found it in my search and saved you further testing. Thanks for following up to let the Community know it's a known issue.

Timothy Ryan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 21, 2018

It is marked resolved, but it's not. It's handled better with an error message saying the page edit failed. Failure rate is about 25% when I use the highlight method. Complete pain in the butt and disappointment that these 2 products do not integrate better.

0 votes
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 18, 2018

Hi there, Scott,

I was able to create a story, a task and an epic by highlighting text in my Confluence Cloud test instance:

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 2.48.49 PM.png

I found some existing issues open for similar behavior in Cloud, but the bug reports refer to cases where quite a few issues are being added at once, or the text highlighted on the Confluence page is inside a table, which doesn't sound like what you are describing.

I could not find a Cloud license associated with the email address you use for Community so I am not sure what instances you are seeing this behavior on. Rather than posting the instance URL publicly, so that Atlassian Cloud support can take a look, please open a ticket at https://support.atlassian.com/contact.

Thanks,

Ann

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 19, 2018

Thanks Ann. 

It looks like this is intermittent, I'll test it more and see if I can narrow it down to certain steps, ask another user to test, etc. If it's not user error I'll open a ticket (entirely possible, given that I'm the user and I was working remotely at a couple different vendor sites this week.)

-Scott

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events