Create from Template Macro, the Template Name drop down is blank

Situation: Using the Create From Template Macro to add new Weekly Report Pages to a space, which are then displayed on the main page (with the button) using the Display Children Macro.

Issue: This system is working fine when adding it within the Space Templates but when it was added as a Global Template for all projects to use the Create From Template Macro stopped allowing for the Template Name to be selected, thus stopping this main page from being added as a template without the user having to change the button each time they add it to their specific space.

Is there any known issues with this when creating Global Templates? I have searched here and on the web and have only come across a few others users with presumably the same issue that seemed to then resolve itself.

Using Confluence 5.5.3.

2 answers

1 accepted

This is a limitation of the Create from Template Macro, because it requires you to enter a value for the Space field, and won't allow the value to be @self.

I've automated new project creation down to just about everything... save for this. It is quite frustrating.

Using it for one space works well, because you can add the spacekey in there. But for a global template it does not work well, because it doesn't allow for wildcard-like expressions.

Thank you for letting me know your issues too. It does cause a problem when trying to automate and standardise multiple projects across studios. I shall see if I can raise it as an issue, but for now I have just created a quick 'how to add template button' instructions to all the Global Templates that need them. :)

Great idea Elizabeth. I just have to keep a side note for creating new spaces for folks that I need to edit this one little thing... It kills me a bit inside, but hey, I've automated nearly everything else. I have it on my list of plugins/macros I'd like to develop.

Hi @John Paz, please see my solution below.

If you want to add a 'Create from Template' button to a global template (meaning the button links to a global template and is located inside a global template), you can follow these instructions:

1. Choose a space in the macro definitions (last field at the bottom)
  2. The Template Name drop down gets populated with all the relevant templates
  3. Choose the global template you like
  4. Delete the space from the macro definitions
  5. Save

You can now use this template in all spaces, the new page will be created in the space the button is located in.

Thank you Amalia! Totally works smile

This is perfect! Thanks so much

Thank you very much. It worked!

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

381 views 21 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you