Create from Template Macro, the Template Name drop down is blank

Elizabeth Bedwell September 21, 2014

Situation: Using the Create From Template Macro to add new Weekly Report Pages to a space, which are then displayed on the main page (with the button) using the Display Children Macro.

Issue: This system is working fine when adding it within the Space Templates but when it was added as a Global Template for all projects to use the Create From Template Macro stopped allowing for the Template Name to be selected, thus stopping this main page from being added as a template without the user having to change the button each time they add it to their specific space.

Is there any known issues with this when creating Global Templates? I have searched here and on the web and have only come across a few others users with presumably the same issue that seemed to then resolve itself.

Using Confluence 5.5.3.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Paz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

This is a limitation of the Create from Template Macro, because it requires you to enter a value for the Space field, and won't allow the value to be @self.

I've automated new project creation down to just about everything... save for this. It is quite frustrating.

Using it for one space works well, because you can add the spacekey in there. But for a global template it does not work well, because it doesn't allow for wildcard-like expressions.

Elizabeth Bedwell September 30, 2014

Thank you for letting me know your issues too. It does cause a problem when trying to automate and standardise multiple projects across studios. I shall see if I can raise it as an issue, but for now I have just created a quick 'how to add template button' instructions to all the Global Templates that need them. :)

John Paz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2014

Great idea Elizabeth. I just have to keep a side note for creating new spaces for folks that I need to edit this one little thing... It kills me a bit inside, but hey, I've automated nearly everything else. I have it on my list of plugins/macros I'd like to develop.

Amalia Man June 20, 2016

Hi @John Paz, please see my solution below.

15 votes
Amalia Man June 20, 2016

If you want to add a 'Create from Template' button to a global template (meaning the button links to a global template and is located inside a global template), you can follow these instructions:

1. Choose a space in the macro definitions (last field at the bottom)
  2. The Template Name drop down gets populated with all the relevant templates
  3. Choose the global template you like
  4. Delete the space from the macro definitions
  5. Save

You can now use this template in all spaces, the new page will be created in the space the button is located in.

Wanjae Shin September 23, 2016

Thank you Amalia! Totally works smile

Justin Ross June 13, 2017

This is perfect! Thanks so much

Jaime Vela November 27, 2017

Thank you very much. It worked!

Deleted user June 7, 2018

Seems to not be working anymore. When clicking the button in a space the create window pops up and nothing happens...

zamartz June 10, 2018

AWESOME! Such a strange work-around but it works!

Kevin Suter November 20, 2018

Thanks Amalia, this works perfect.

Valeriia Iuzhakova December 3, 2018

This workaround also didn't work for me because of the following error: "Error rendering macro 'create-from-template' : No space found with space key: null".
And here's how we managed to overcome it:

- I've created a test page from the parent Global Template
- Inserted the macro there (without specifying a Space)
- Copied the macro's button from the test page
- Paste it into the Global template
- Published it

Note: It will still show you that rendering error, but you should be able to create the page by clicking on that macro.

Alistair Eldred January 14, 2019

@Valeriia Iuzhakova how did you copy the button? From within the editor? My copy is only picking up the link text.

Valeriia Iuzhakova January 21, 2019

@Alistair Eldred You could try the following:

In the edit mode, on some page click on 'Insert more content' by [+] button > Select 'Other macros' from the drop-down list > Find and select 'Create from Template' macro > Insert button text, select appropriate Template and [Save] > Copy&paste this button from the test page to the Global template

Michel Tome April 2, 2019

This is not working for me now. I change the space on the macro configuration, but the templates dropdown doesn't get populated.

Shanta Nathwani July 30, 2019

I created a global template and I want to create another global template using the button.

I tried creating the button on a page and it worked great. When I copied it over, the space goes blank, and the button doesn't render. When viewing the template, I receive the following error:

Click here to create a retrospective: Error rendering macro 'create-from-template' : No space found with space key: null

Still no resolution to this. 

0 votes
Anna Boström September 10, 2019

The workaround works but is there a trouble report that I can follow?

Using Confluence 6.12.2

0 votes
Sayan Kaiser August 19, 2019

Thanks Amalia

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events