Create button disabled when creating a new wiki space

Willo May 9, 2018

We're using Jira and Confluence, both the cloud versions and also bitbucket for development of some projects.

I'm creating a "Software project space" within Confluence to link to a JIRA project that I've just created successfully.  I've picked the newly created project name from the list and all the fields have been populated including the Space key, which it's defaulted to the same key as the project.  All required fields are filled out, however, the Create button is still "greyed" out, and so I can't create the space.

Creating a blank space doesn't have this issue, but I haven't followed through as I don't want to burn the space key.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2018

Since you have the create space permission for blank spaces it likely isn't a permission problem.

The only thing I can think of is your space key being unique.  Is there a similarly named space in your Confluence instance that is blocking you from creating?

Willo May 9, 2018

No, I've checked and there's no space, either current or archived with that key.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2018

check in the admin panel if you've disabled the "software project space" blueprint.

Willo May 9, 2018

Hey good idea, but no, I can see that option and it's enabled in the Global Templates and Blueprints area of the Confluence configuration section.

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2018

What browser are you using?

I see a related issue here for chrome: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Can-t-create-software-project-space-with-a-space-key-modified/qaq-p/161079

Try doing it with another browser

Like Johnathon Taylor likes this
Willo May 9, 2018

Ah Chrome.  OK thanks, I'll give that a go and let you know.

Willo May 9, 2018

Still no joy, I tried Firefox and Safari.

I saw that one too, they were able to click create and got an error on submit, but I can't even click it.

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2018

can you attach a screenshot?

Willo May 9, 2018

Yeah, here you go.

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 3.27.38 pm.png

Rambabu Patina _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2018

Would be possible to verify if your license has reached the maximum number of licensed users? Check this on Confluence administration -> license details and verify the number of current licensed users.

If license is not a problem for your instance then you may try the resolution in the KB article create-space-button-inactive-in-add-space-dialog.

Willo May 9, 2018

Thanks @Rambabu Patina _Appfire_, but neither of those look applicable to us here as we're using the Atlassian hosted cloud instance.

Willo May 9, 2018

I just tried to create a whole new fictitious project and space, which worked successfully.  Maybe someone had previously created a space with that key, then subsequently deleted it, and there are some artefacts remaining somewhere.  I did see some older questions talking about it being an issue but that was in the server version too not the cloud.

Willo May 9, 2018

Ah, yes, found it.  Under https://company.atlassian.net/wiki/admin/permissions/viewdefaultspacepermissions.action I can see the key I'm wanting to use.  I might be able to recover and reuse it from there.

0 votes
Hernan.BARRAZA August 10, 2022

I had the same problem while piloting Confluence Cloud (we were preparing the migration from server to cloud), and the reason was that the space name and key I intended to create was reserved for the content migration from server to cloud. Using a different space name and key fixed the issue for me.

0 votes
Heshan Manamperi
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 9, 2018

Check whether you have right permissions to do so

Willo May 9, 2018

No, I'm in all the administrator groups.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events