Did you mean: 

Create Folder in a space

jawahir junaith August 2, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Spaces

Ask your question here...

5 answers

7 votes
thisnamenotused April 25, 2018

Folders do not exist. This is the workaround. It is kinda dumb and they should just make "Folders within spaces" a feature but... here ya go:

1. make sure your pages are in the hierarchy you want them:

1a. Navigate into the space you want to act as a file system and select the menu

SpaceMenuButton.PNG1b.

ViewInHiearchyPNG.PNG

1c. Click and drag these into the structure you want:

click-drag-these.PNG

2.  Use the instructions in the link below to add child-lists to your "Folder" documents so that you can view their child-"contents" with one click:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/children-display-macro-139501.html

2 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2016

In Confluence there are no folders; every page also acts as a folder, so just create a page smile

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2019

Yes this can be done if you think about it a bit differently.

First a page is essentially a folder ...

On any particular page (folder) you can attach documents to that page (insert things into the folder) ... you cam manually insert a link or thumbnail to the attachments or even use the Attachments Macro to list all the attachments like an "index" 

You can have "folders within folders" as child pages to a top parent page - the top parent page becomes the filing cabinet of sorts.

Or you can have a top parent page as the cabinet

.. a set of child pages as the drawers of the cabinet

..... and a set of grandchild pages to the child pages as folders within the draw within the cabinet

0 votes

Okay... but how? "every page also acts as a folder, so just create a page" doesn't work.

file lists come up just fine...
filelists.PNG...This is exactly what I want.

but pages...ViewInHeigharchy.PNGdon't show up at all in the first screen above.

I want them to naturally show up when I click into "Chicken Scratch"

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2018

Inspect the macro on the 'chicken scratch' page. All it is doing is looking for paages with labels on them.

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2018

If you want a page to display the children pages, then you'll have to use some sort of macro in the page to display them such as "Children Display" or "Page Tree".

I guess knowledge is power but for the love of goodness, it shouldn't be that hard to categorize the knowledge I want to share with my teammates.

We have been using the unaltered file-structure system in computing for at least 40 years. This is very unintuitive.

Like # people like this

@Stephen Deutsch @Steven F Behnke

I was too new to even know what this macro stuff is. Thanks for the leads though. I posted what worked for me in a separate response to this thread just below.

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2019

@Thomas Kuttzner   sorry I didn't see your post last year ... see my post today in reply to Tarek

0 votes
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2016

I agree with Stephen.  If you want to use the term, effectively the Space is the "folder" and each page can act as a Parent to another set of pages creating a tree structure of "sub-folders", noting that you can set Page Restrictions for Viewing of the parent page (and by inheritance all its Child pages).

Tarek Musaad November 24, 2019

but still you can not create a folder come under a page....!

Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2019

it is clear that Confluence is a set of web pages, not true folders so you need to change your thinking a tad

You need to view a parent page as a folder ... of course you can put whatever you want directly on that page as content/attachments.  If it is just a bunch of documents/images that are kept in the "folder", then use the "Attachments" macro to list the documents directly on the page.  Now the page looks like a folder.

But if you have child pages, they can become your contents of that parent page "folder" ... Then on the parent page you can simply put the "Children Display" macro or Page Tree macro (which has handy search and expand options)  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events