Correct full name of user (admin)

Atflex March 7, 2017

Hi,

During import of users the full name was imported incorrectly. So fullname now is "firstname.middlename.lastname", instead of "Fullname Middlename Lastname".

As een site admin I can change the email address, can change the username, but not the full name, it is disabled. Please advise how to proceed (Confluence Cloud).

Regards,

Alexander2017-03-07 17_25_13-User management - Users.png

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2017

Hi Alexander,

This is likely because the user details are managed in Atlassian Account, so you can't update them from within Confluence Cloud directly.

Instead, ask your user to go to: https://id.atlassian.com/profile/profile.action and change their name there.

Alternatively, they can follow these steps in Confluence Cloud:

1. Click their user avatar image in top right corner
  2. Choose Profile
  3. On the profile page, click the Edit Profile button (top right of page)
  4. This should take to the profile edit page. Full name will be greyed out, but there will be a "Manage in Atlassian account" link next to it.
  5. Click "Manage in Atlassian account" to be taken to an account settings page where full name can be edited.

Hope this helps.

Further info (31 May 2017):

The problem with allowing admins to change it for users with an Atlassian account is that these people might use the same account to login to other Atlassian things: other Cloud sites, Atlassian services, jira.atlassian.com etc. 

I guess Atlassian prevent the update of full name by admins for this reason - to prevent changes related to one Cloud site affecting another, and to prevent users from unexpectedly finding their name changed. So it's left up to the user to set/choose thier own full name.

This problem would be solved by something like the suggestion made by Jonathan Gan: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-6307 - which I think is suggesting allowing the different full name aliases to be set by the admins for each Cloud site.

There are also two other suggestions people have made in Atlassian's public issue tracker:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-9470

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-9469

Best thing to do if you want this to be changed is to vote & comment on one/all of those.

Or raise a suggestion of your own and mention it here so more people will find it.

Sam

Brian April 26, 2017

Does this update instantaneously or is there a delay?

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2017

There is usually a delay until your instance syncs the name back.

You or your user to logging out and back in again might make it update quicker.

Chelsea Lovelace June 23, 2017

Asking our users to take an extra step to perform a function their admin should be able to perform is slightly obsurd.  Our organization has a hard enough time getting our users to use the system at all... requiring them to take an extra step to input their full name essentially means it will never happen.  This issue paired with the lack of last login/session information is extremely frustrating. 

Like Benedict Fojas likes this
1 vote
Sean Nguyen April 7, 2017

Will there be any update in the future that will allow admins to change this for their users?

We've noticed that whenever we send invitations from JIRA, the users are accidentally saving their names in all lowercase which kind of looks unprofessional among other names that are cased correctly.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2017

I think you can manage Atlassian account user details (which I assume includes full name) if you verify that you own the domain that holds your user's emails.

Example given in the docs about this: 

"With domain claim verification, an administrator confirms they own the domain (@example.com) that their organization uses for their Atlassian account. This allows them to manage all accounts (alana@example.com, jim@example.com, julie@example.com...) within that email domain."

So this *might* fix your problem. 

I haven't yet done this, so can't say for sure.

If you are interested, it might be worth asking Atlassian for a bit of support and guidance: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ 

Lenn Bond May 24, 2017

This is very unsatisfactory.  I have users from multiple client organizations using JIRA to submit work to us.  I can't claim my clients' domains in order to have this edit Full Name feature.  I pay for a JIRA instance.  I want to administer it.  It's a pretty darn basic expectation that I should be able to control the user profiles as an Administrator.  Who's with me?

Rhona Sweeting May 29, 2017

Me!

Dealing with this just now and it's a bl**dy nuisance.

Have an upvote from me. ;)

Cameron Priestley May 31, 2017

yea, is there any work around for this?

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2017

I've added some more info to my original answer above, which might help. I don't work for Atlassian. I'm a user like you, so it's just my understanding of the reasons for this.

I'd suggest anyone coming here wanting Cloud site admin to get the ability to edit user full name should vote/comment on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-9469

There are also some workarounds mentioned in the comments on there, but I've no idea if they work. You could try commenting there to ask for help from one of the workaround suggestors.

Katya Godneva July 14, 2017

Thank you!
It was extremely useful.

Am I right that the change takes some time?

Brad Schulz November 2, 2017

Atlassian make some very irrational and bad product decisions like this one. 

Another one is with Bitbucket.  Users can spoof their names without any ability to control from repository admins.  To me this is a huge security vulnerability, but Atlassian disagrees and thinks it is fine for Bitbucket users to be able to spoof their names.

1 vote
Atflex March 7, 2017

Thank you, that clarifies a lot, so in short, we are screwed and have to ask the end users to perform this action and keep our fingers crossed that they do so ;-).

0 votes
Androcles Pettiford February 9, 2018

This worked for me. I went under Site Administration->User Management. Then I went to Organizations & Security. I clicked on the company name. Next I went to Managed Accounts. I found the user who needed the full name edited. I went to he far right and selected Edit Account. I made the name change and saved it. Then I checked in Jira. The name change was present. Hope this helps. 

Rich Brown August 6, 2018

This works but if a user entered their email address as full them, they don't get propagated to a managed account. I'm assuming it's an atlassian bug. 

wgakuru January 5, 2022

This Worked for me as well

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events