Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying images from Confluence and pasting to Word

Julian Prokaza October 10, 2019

Copying an image from a Confluence (v6.13.7) page and pasting to a Word 2016 document just gives an empty image bounding box. This works normally with images from other websites.

Word's 'Protected View' settings are all disabled, as per the Confluence help topic (https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/unable-to-copy-paste-image-from-confluence-to-outlook-or-word-655196184.html).

Anyone got any ideas..?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

Hi @Julian Prokaza

This is a behavior I also have experienced. My workaround is to paste the picture into "Paint"-program (the one included in all windows OS:s) and then copy it from paint and into word. In that way it works. This is not a great solution, but it is the best i've found. 

The same goes for inserting images to confluence aswell. 

Hope this can help you until it is fixed!

Good luck with your Atlassian endeavours!

Yep, that workaround works for me. Not great, but better than exporting as a Word document and copying from there... Thanks!

1 vote
Alexander Ling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

Hello!

For me it works to right click a image in confluence and press copy.

Open word and paste it in. After you paste it, the symbol below should appear.

image.png
Click on it and choose picture/image (the last option for me).

Hope that solves your issue :-)

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2019

Ill be damned, it worked.

Thank you Alexander.

Like Alexander Ling likes this

I don't get 'Paste image' as an option here – just 'keep Source Formatting' and 'Merge Formatting'.

Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 15.18.57.png

Alexander Ling
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2019

Thats weird. I'm using word through office365 so it might be that we have different versions. My best guess is to click CTRL + ALT + V when you paste the image into word and then choose bitmap/png/jpeg depending on what options you get.

If that doesn't work. I would recommend to follow the steps described by @Gustav L_Estrade

It shouldnt be dependent on what word version you have even though it's a bit more annoying to do. :-)

Like Gustav L_Estrade likes this
Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2019

Maybe this issue isnt confluence's fault, seems to be a Word-related issue

Could be, but it's weird that only Confluence is affected. Other web pages are not, and nor is the page furniture (embedded logos, etc).

Like Alexander Ling likes this
0 votes
Pavneet Singh October 3, 2023

What i felt best is to click on 3 dots on the right side of the page and download the diagrams and pictures as an attachment with better quality images instead. thanks.

0 votes
ben_weir September 26, 2023

Just here to say that three years later I still cannot copy an image from Confluence and paste into Word. It just pastes a small empty box that has no options or anything to select in the drop down. Sad :(

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events