Confluence user group within a user group?

Terry Lynch June 15, 2017

How can I add a user group to a user group?? I find it baffling that this isn't a possibility - right now it's only letting me add a user to a group. 

It's fine to add users to groups but then I want superset groups of different groups. Otherwise it becomes a complete mess trying to micro-manage individual users. 

As an example, imagine I have three different types of users: typeA, typeB and typeC. I add 10 users to typeA group, 5 users to typeB group and 6 users to typeC group. 

Now, certain spaces/pages I might want to give access to typeA and typeC users and certain types of spaces/pages I might want to give access to typeB and typeC users. I understand that I can individually permission typeA and typeC groups for the one space and typeB and typeC for the other space but this doesn't scale well when I have many many groups and permutations!! I want to be able to create supergroup1 containing typeA and typeC groups and then supergroup2 containing typeB and typeC groups - this way I just have to permission the supergroups. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2017

You don't.  Confluence doesn't have nested groups.

It can understand the nested groups provided by some directories, but it flattens them out.

Terry Lynch June 15, 2017

Ok, thanks for the reponse. 

It's a reasonable request though right?? And so easy to implement I imagine

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2017

It's not unreasonable, but from the code I've been wandering through, it's not easy.  Especially as just accepting external directories doing it already clobbers performance.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events