cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence upgrade - some questions

AbrahamA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2012

Hi All

I am trying to upgrade from confluence 3.0.2 to 4.2.6.

So first upgrading to 3.5.17 and then to 4.2.6

Per my understanding:

• I am making a copy of my production setup in test system. Created a zip of confluence install directory and data directory and copied to my test system.
  • Downloaded the zip of 3.5.17 of confluence installer (i did not find windows installer) and extracted to test system.

Questions:

1. How do I upgrade my old version. If I run startup.bat of 3.5.17 it just brings up 3.5.17 of confluence. (In 4.2.6 instaler it had option of upgrade) Is there a installer that I need to start in 3.5.17
  2. I modified conflue-init.properties under C:\conflu3-5-17\confluence-3.5.17-std\confluence\WEB-INF\classes setting confluence.home=c:/confluence/data. When I start server it throws an error saying it cannot find f:/confluence/data (which is what I have on production)
  3. I could not get the whole data directory ( as it is too large for my test system), so just copied files in top level only like confluence.cfg.xml, is there a better approach.

Please let me know.

Abraham.

1 answer

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2012

1 and 2 are related. The general upgrade procedure is to point the new confluence installation and your existing data directory and existing database. If you are pointing at your existing data directory correctly then its confluence.cfg.xml will also point at the old database so it should all get auto upgraded. (obviously backup first or as you are doing, do this on a copy)

So it sounds like for some reason it is still finding your old confluence.home. Now that could be the case if it is definied as an environmental variable possibly, which would override your setting in confluence-init.properties. So check that first.

3. If this is a test system then you'll mainly be missing attachments if you do that, which might be ok for what you are doing but then you really aren't testing the full upgrade ;)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events