Confluence space restriction

Good day - I'm looking to restrict a specific user group of four people such that they can ONLY see one specific space.

Currently, I'm having trouble with this as all users by default are added to the "Users" group, which presently can read all spaces. Removing the ability for "users" to view all projects would impact a large number of people, so I'm looking for a way to have a restriction take priority over individual's membership to "users" and only allow them to see one space. Or, any other suggestion for that matter.

Thank-you!

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Kevin,

How about removing them from the Users group, and then creating another group especially for them.

Once you've done that you can add the new group to the space you want them to see.

That way they'll only have the one space to view, and you won't have done much work. :)

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply Mick! I initially tried exactly that, but upon removing the user from the "users" group, they could no longer login at all. I went through the admin panels and found a note that users are "required" to be in that group, by hook or by crook it seems... Otherwise, I agree, that'd be the most elegant solution!

Kevin,

Yes, of course, the default users group. I forgot about that. In that case, you'll have to create a new group for all of the other users as well. So you'll end up with:

• Group 1 - with the vast mjority of users who all have access to all your spaces
  • Group 2 - the four people who can only access the one space
  • Group 3 - the Confluence Users default group. These will be able to access all spaces, so you will have to edit the space permissions for each space to remove this group altogether.

So a bit more work than I first suggested. Sorry about that. :)

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

409 views 4 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you