Confluence *and* Service Desk - Simple Knowledge Base with Text and Video Content

Brian Fazio September 3, 2020

I have the simplest of problems and I am super frustrated. All I want is a knowledge base that looks nice and neat, is easy to navigate and makes sense. Did we come in at a weird time for Atlassian? Because every time I try to use a macro it is deprecated, and the Support Portal isn't playing nice with Confluence. All we want is a video at the top of the page and the text-based content/screen shots below. Here's where I am today:

Solution: Use YouTube connector, put video at top of page

Problem: in Service Desk the Knowledge Base topic starts with the embed code as the description - looks horrible and is pointless.

Solution: Put video at bottom of page, use Anchor for link at top.

Problem: Anchor macro no longer works, says use Headings and Links. When using that solution it does not work in Service Desk - when you click the link to the video (linked to a heading further down the page) it errors and says it can't find your page (it is trying to load the header link as a whole page, which it isn't).

Am I missing something or is just the state of these two products and they are working as expected? Is there a better way to solve this seemingly simple problem?

On a related note, is there a road map to update Service Desk to accommodate the Confluence changes? Does Atlassian need an assistant product manager to help keep these two products working harmoniously, because I am free!

1 answer

0 votes
Florian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2020

Maybe there is a way to have it nice and easy when you think about the structure of you pages. I can imagine something like this:

• Title (mandatory in Confluence)
  • Introduction (one or to sentences leading the customer to the content)
  • video
  • all the other stuff. 

When you place a short introduction on top of the video it should look nice in Jira. 

Example:

Reset Password

In this video you will learn how you can reset your password for xyz-Sytem in case you lost it. 

[video]

blabla

Brian Fazio September 3, 2020

This is the workaround I have landed on so far. Other tips include to keep your video window in Confluence to under 650px wide so it fits right in the Service Portal. I won't mark this resolved yet because I don't like this solution and would like to see if anyone has anything else.

There should be better communication between the two pieces of software if they are being sold as complimentary. Right now they feel like a poorly implemented integration.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events