Confluence and Jira stop running multiple times each day

Walter Sunk November 20, 2017

Hello,

I am hosting Confluence and Jira on our company-server since Dec 2016 so far without any problems until this month Nov 2017. I use Jira for User-Management for both, Confluence and Jira.

Since November both, Confluence and Jira (Confluence more often) stop running during the day. At the beginning this was 1 to 2 times a day, currently Confluence doesn't run more than 30 minutes any more after a restart, Jira also stops multiple times a day.

I have zipped all log-files on the following link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cci23shd8ors8ln/confluence-jira-logs.tar.gz?dl=0

I use data-directories for confluence and jira outside the servers, so the confluence-jira-logs.tar.gz consists of server-directories and data-directories.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64bit as operating system in a Virtual-Machine (VM-Ware) with 5GB RAM. As far I have seen there is no Out-Of-Memory-Error.

I have looked through these log-files, however I am not an expert about that, I am not able to find out what is happening with these logfiles.

Please help. How can I go on finding the problem?

1 answer

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2017

Hi Walter,

Thanks very much for the logs and detailed description. I am sorry to hear Confluence and Jira keep stopping unexpectedly.

In the logs for both applications I am seeing one startup after another without any shutdown entries. Like you, I don't see any recent out of memory errors for Confluence or Jira; I saw you increased the memory available to Java (heap) for Confluence on November 17 from 1536m to 2G.

My suspicion is that we are running into an out of memory error on the Linux system rather than with the applications. This is described in these articles:

How to Resolve JIRA Process being Terminated Unexpectedly in Linux

Confluence process dies unexpectedly due to Linux OOM-Killer

Please have a look at the Ubuntu logs and see if the error messages from the links above appear there. If you want to zip the logs and upload them to Dropbox as you did for the application logs I will be happy to take a look as well.

Regards,

Ann

Edit: Wanted to add that Confluence 5.8.14 and Jira 7.0.4 are both at end of life status, per Atlassian Support End of Life Policy We have fixed lots of bugs and added many features in the later versions so I hope you are planning on Upgrading Confluence and Jira soon.

Walter Sunk November 20, 2017

Thank you for your answer, I will check the System-Logs with that. An Update is planned. Regards W.

Walter Sunk November 27, 2017

The problem was in the VMware-Virtual-Machine, I needed to recreate it. After that Confluence and Jira worked well again. Thanks for help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events