Confluence and Jira Users

Jordan Baczuk August 12, 2014

So I followed the first 3 steps of the "Here be Dragons" tutorial and got Jira and Confluence installed on my Ubuntu server. Now I'm trying to add a new user to Confluence and it says, "Failed to create user 'xxx'. Check your server logs for more information. I looked and there are no logs titled atlassian-confluence.log just catalina.out, so I've attached it here, I didn't notice anything. Any ideas?

(catalina_out.txt)

(atlassian-confluence.log)

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2014

Hi Jordan,

Reviewing your logs I understand that Confluence is unable to connect to JIRA due to networking issue. Have you check if there are any DNS issue between Confluence and JIRA? Are they on the same server? Have you tried to use IP address as JIRA url in Confluence user directories configuration.

Finally, please ensure that Confluence IP address is added into JIRA side as describe in our documentation here, specifically the first step where you need to configure Confluence application in JIRA side.

If it still doesn't help, I highly recommend you to contact our support team so we could review all information such as logs confidentially.

Hope it help.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

1 vote
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2014

Hi Jordan, if you have enabled external user management in Confluence, you'll need to create the users in JIRA directly, instead of Confluence.

As for the atlassian-confluence.log, this is located in Confluence Home, into the sub-folder logs.

Cheers

Jordan Baczuk August 12, 2014

Ok I think that was probably the problem, but now I'm wondering if there is another connection error between the two as I get this error when trying to log into confluence from a new account I created in Jira:

Sorry, a network error occurred trying to log you in. Please try again, and contact your administrator if the problem persists

In fact, I can only log into the admin account on confluence and none of the accounts that were supposedy imported from Jira when I set it up.

0 votes
Branno
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 13, 2014

Howdy Jordan!

Try taking a look in the User Management section of the JIRA Administration. Here will be a list of all your users. Ensure that the users you are creating have membership in confluence-users otherwise they will not be able to login to Confluence. This can be verified by looking at the atlassian-confluence.log that Tiago linked above, you should be looking for a line that says "<user> tried to login but they do not have USE permission or weren't found."

Cheers,

Stephen Brannen | Confluence Support

Jordan Baczuk August 14, 2014

Thanks for the advice, they weren't added to the group, so I did it, but I still get the network error.

Branno
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2014

Jordan,

Getting atlassian-confluence.log is going to be really helpful in further diagnosing this. It is in a different folder than catalina.out. You will need to look in the <confluence_home>/logs directory to find atlassian-confluence.log, and the location of this directory can be found at <confluence_install>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/confluence-init.properties.

Cheers,

Stephen Brannen | Confluence Support

Jordan Baczuk August 14, 2014

Hey I finally found it! I posted it as an edit to the original question. I had to cut some stuff out from the beginning of the file because it wouldn't upload.

Jordan Baczuk August 29, 2014

Still haven't found a solution

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events