Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence XML/DB backup

Mike Lo February 24, 2013

Hi,

Recently I migrated the DB from HSQLDB to Postgresql. My question now is since I have the automated, scheduled XML backup in Confluence, should I regularly back up the external Postgresql? What's the relation between XML and DB? Are they both required for a restore?

Thank you very much.

Mike

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2013

Hi Mike,

XML backup database was meant for testing purposes, and it requires a huge resources to create and restore. Previously, XML backup was reported to be unreliable for huge production instances as it may cause data corruption or data lost after restored. However the reliability has been improved tremendously after 4.x update.

If you choose to use XML backup, then DB backup is no longer necessary as XML backup will backup everything except your plugins jar file. Hence upon restoration, you would need to re-install your plugins, the plugins data is kept by XML.

However, as it require a huge resources to create we usually recommend this production backup method strategy which more reliable and won't slow down Confluence upon creation.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Mike Lo February 24, 2013

Got it, thanks Septa!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events