Confluence - Would like to remove email updates from watcher and reporter

Gabe Belknap November 10, 2020

Hey folks, i hope all is well.

On submission of an intake through my Confluence form, a JIRA is being created. When the JIRA is created, the submitter is being aligned to the Watcher and Reporter roles

Is there an ability through the IFTTT that upon the JIRA creation Anonymous is leveraged in both roles? I am trying to prevent the submitter from getting updates as they are made in JIRA.

Thanks in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2020

Is your question is about ConfiForms creating a Jira issue? Sounds like it, but you have not really mentioned that, so I thought I re-check...

Hey Alex,

Yes sorry for missing that. You are correct, it is an IFTTT from Confiforms that is creating the JIRA.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2020

When you use built-in ConfiForms IFTTT actions to create/update Jira issues then the connection to Jira is set up using an application link you have. And that means it is created in the credentials of the user who submits the form.

You can probably set up some automation on Jira side to "remove the reporter" or set up a web service connection using some service account to your Jira and use that through ConfiForms IFTTT to create Jira issues (so the reporter will be your service account user).

The easiest I think would be to set up some automation on Jira side to remove reporter when issue gets created

HI Alex

I guess it is important for me to understand why these folks are getting emails from JIRA. Is it because they are the Reporter, or that they have been added a Watcher?  Maybe both?

Unfortunately i do not have access to any admin or setup within JIRA. Any changes i can implement would be through the confiform itself.

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2020

Are you explicitly set the watchers when you create a Jira issue?

(via parameter on ConfiForms IFTTT)

Gabe Belknap November 16, 2020

Unfortunately I am not, no.

I have three IFTTT's.

1. onCreated, Send Email

2. onCreated, Delete Confiform Entry

3. onCreated, Remove Page Watcher

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2020

Hold on, so you dont really create any Jira issues, right? And you are talking about the Confluence page watcher?

Gabe Belknap November 17, 2020

Crud...Sorry Alex.

I forgot to add that i do have a 4th IFTTT, and that one is onCreated, Create JIRA issue.

The Watchers section of that IFTTT is Blank, and i am not populating the watcher or reporter fields. Refer to attached.

Thanks!Capture.JPG

Alex Medved _ConfiForms_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2020

If you dont set the watchers then the user creating the issue is not added as a watcher, but as a reporter only (unless you have some custom automation rules).

And this is why they get a message later or on issue creation.

And reporter field is populated as a "standard workflow" - Jira sets the reporter to the user's account who has reported the issue. You need an automation to change that on Jira side (nothing to do on ConfiForms side, unless you switch to "web service" request IFTTT to create an issue using service account)

Gabe Belknap November 19, 2020

Thanks Alex...at this point, i think the functionality is being controlled by the admins,

Appreciate yours and @Davin Studer  support.

Thanks

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2020

Do you happen to have ScriptRunner for Jira? If so you could use ScriptRunner to change that on issue creation using the create transition post function.

Hey Davin, unfortunately i do not. My organization has the platform setup as a service, but they manage all of the back ends tools, API's etc.  My control is limited to what i can do via confiform/confluence.  

Are the emails firing to these folks based on them being the reporter or because they are a watcher, Maybe both?  

Thanks

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2020

Well, watchers always get emails, and it is a typical setup to have notifications sent to the issue reporter.

Chris Anders March 17, 2022

An old message but anyway... Each user can tun off the autowatch function from within ther profile settings.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events