Confluence Page Permissions Tracking

Matt Sardi March 28, 2022

Good Afternoon,  I am new to learning Jira and Confluence and was wondering what is the best way to view the permissions for restricted pages.  I am site admin and when I try to open a couple of pages, I get the following error:

"You've stumbled on restricted content

This is because it's inheriting restrictions from a parent page. A space admin or the person who shared this page may be able to give you access."
I'm not looking to grant access to myself to the page, I'm looking to see if:
A) Does this page exist, was it deleted and thus the reason for the error?
B) Which page is this inheriting permissions from? 
C) Who owns and can see the page (there is no help on the page and I can't request access)?
Thank you in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2022

@Matt Sardi There is not a great way to do this.  There are no delivered reports for specific pages or spaces.  If you have a premium license there is a report to inspect a user's permission.    There are several apps that can provide custom reporting and would allow you to build your own reports.  If you know what the page is and what space it resides in you can see if it exists in space settings > manage pages.  As a space admin you will be able to view and change restrictions. You will be able to see which page it is inheriting from because you will not be able to change it on the page and it will tell you it is inheriting the permissions.  As far as ownership that is tricky.  Anyone that has the ability to apply page permissions and has edit access on the page will be able to make the changes which means they could technically own it. 

Nidhi Raj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2022

Thank you Brant, couldn't have said it better myself!

One additional point regarding Question A - for deleted pages there is a different error message. See the screenshot attached. So no, deletion of the page is likely not the cause of the error.Deleted Content Error.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events