Confluence Migration\Merger

Rob Derbyshire December 12, 2017

Hello

We have two teams that have merged and we want to merge the two on prem Confluence Instances together.

One is running 6.4.1 and the other is 6.2.2

We plan on moving the data from 6.2.2 to the 6.4.1 server.

I've read a few articles about doing this via an XML export, but our Confluence servers use SQL databases so I wondered if there are alternate options?

The 6.4.1 server shows ...

"This site accepts full site imports from Confluence 4.0 and later, and space imports from Confluence 5.3 and later"

We have multiple spaces to transfer.

Any advice or assistance would be much appreciated.

Rob

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

Ugh, no, SQL is by far the worst possible way to attempt this.  You'll be messing with 40ish tables, trying to work out their relationships and which ones need updating with data outside the stuff you're trying to import.

Space export and import is a few clicks, with little margin for error, and by far the fastest and easiest route.

Thanks for the answer Nic. 

Do you have a link to the best step by step process for doing this? I've found a few articles by wanted to be sure I am using the right one. 
Thanks again

Rob

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

Check the release notes, check you have matching add-ons (if you want to keep using them), export a space, then import it. 

I tend to follow the Atlassian docs for the target version initially, until testing throws up problems (generally, it doesn't)

Do I have to do them space by space, or can I migrate a whole site without overwriting the data that exists in the new (target) confluence.  Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2017

Space by space I'm afraid.  A full export will replace the whole target system!

Okay thanks again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events