Confluence License is permanent ?

Vu Nguyen Hong March 23, 2016

Dear all, 

I do not know if Confluence License is permanent or not ?. In case, I buy as below then I have to pay again for the second year or just pay for support only ?

1 Confluence (Server) 100 Users: Commercial License
- Support Period: 12 month(s)

Thanks,

VuNH

3 answers

0 votes
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2016

I'm no expert on licensing, but Atlassian states (https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/confluence/#serverlicenses-1):

Our software licenses entitle you to perpetual use, and include 12 months maintenance (updates/support) commencing from the date of purchase. Renewing maintenance is entirely optional.

This makes me assume that you need not to renew. Although new and interesting features will probably tempt you to do so ... wink

0 votes
Lars Bachmann March 23, 2016

I would strongly recommend that you purchase the renewal licence after the first 12 months to get all the updates.

0 votes
Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2016

Hi,

You have to renew the license every year. So 12 months from the day you purchase this 100 user license you will need to purchase another 12 months and so on.

Vu Nguyen Hong March 23, 2016

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your answer. I understand here the renewing license is for technical support and software update ?. My server keeps working after license expires ?

Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2016

I am not sure since I have never let our instance expire but I would assume some functionality would not work anymore. You probably won't be able to create new users or add new content but pages may still be viewable at least. You would also probably get a message somewhere on the page stating that your license has expired. Their business is based on licensing so you have to keep renewing the license if you want to use it. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events