Confluence - Disable keyboard shortcuts for anonymous users

Hello People

Does anyone have knowledge of how to disable keyboard short cuts for anonymous users only?

I have a space that is open for public access (anonymous users can view) and I would like to disable keyboard short cuts either for this space - or for anonymous users in general.

In the public space a lot of standard page features are hidden via css, so I would like to make sure features are not available via keyboard short cuts. Stuff like comment field or pressing "t" to watch files attached to a page, just to mention a few.

Pleased to hear any feedback :-)

Brgds/Anders

1 answer

0 vote

Disabling functions by hiding them is not the right way to approach this, as a user can always waltz around them.  You should be using permissions to control what people can do.

There's no function for changing the behaviour of keyboard shortcuts, on a user by user basis.

Hi Nic

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you that hidding a function will not disable the function.

However, for anonymous access the only permission granted is "Can use Confluence" (global permission) and "View" the particular space in question. Removing any of these will lock out anonymous users, which is not what I am looking for.

I was hoping for a way to disable keyboard shortcuts for "anonymous access" to Confluence - not on user basis. Anonymous access requires no user profile..  

Well - most likely it cannot be done.

Would be nice though... :-)

I don't think this is a useful thing to do.  Why would you want to remove the shortcuts?  As you've got "anonymous" as read-only, it's not like the users could do any harm with them.

Sure - no harm can be done, I guess.

It is a matter of creating a uniform experience for anonymous users.

Suppose an anonymous user presses "t" for some reason: he/she will be redirected to see the attachments of the page in question. This will also display the sidebar which I like to keep hidden (for anonymous users I prefer to place navigation links on pages as needed). + the tools menu will be displayed.

Pressing "k" or "l" will open the Link dialog..

Disabling the short cuts on either space level or for anonymous access would block these options - and the person viewing the page will not be prompted with unnecessary functions.

People who have used Confluence before may expect those functions and want to use them.  I think your requirement is broken really.  There's no benefits to doing what you suggest.

Okay - no problem Nic.

Thanks for the feedback.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

380 views 21 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you