Confluence Child page not inheriting view permissions

Rosa M Fossi November 3, 2019

Hi Community,

I have a Parent page "External Communications" with a couple of groups. I've added a new group called "atx-customers" to it with "View" permissions.  I thought the permissions would trickle down to the Child pages, but that's not the case. 

Am I doing something incorrectly?  I cannot image that I have to click the 79 children and grandchildren and add "atx-customers" to each page's permissions!! 

2 answers

0 votes
Rosa M Fossi November 4, 2019

/

0 votes
Kiran Panduga {Appfire}
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2019

Hi @Rosa M Fossi , 

View restrictions are inherited, which means a restriction applied to one page will cascade down to any child pages.  Edit restrictions are not inherited, which means pages need to be restricted individually. 

• If you restrict viewing to a person or group, only they will be able to see that page and all its child pages (unless there are further restrictions on the child pages).
  • If you restrict editing to a person or group, they'll be able to see and edit that page, plus see its child pages.
  • Parent pages (higher up in the page hierarchy) can have their own view restrictions that may prevent people from viewing your page. 

For additional information, please review the Atlassian KB article.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/page-restrictions-139414.html

Thanks,

Kiran

Rosa M Fossi November 4, 2019

Hi Kiran,

I understand that Edit restrictions aren't inherited.  I'm not applying Edit Restrictions. Just View.  But the users in that group STILL cannot see the children pages.  I tested and manually added their group to a child page, and they could immediately see it...  Why isn't it trickling down?   When I check the page, it even says that it has "inherited permissions" and hovering over the "inherited permissions" hyperlink shows the group  :|

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events