Confluence Calendar

Jay_Roberts April 9, 2020

When selecting to use Confluence/Jira for project management I was shown how confluence can use a calendar with a feed from outlook.  All I can find is a plug in that allows this.

Is it true that Confluence does not have a basic calendar function?  Is the only way to bring a calendar to a confluence page by paying for additional plug-ins?

Plug in providers/owners/publishers I do not to hear about your tools that need to be paid for.  A calendar is such a basic tool that I am requesting an answer if its possible to have a calendar with Confluence without a plug in.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2020

Hello Jay,

Welcome to Atlassian Community, and thank you for raising this question.

It's a good question, and there was recently another thread asking about this, which has some useful information:

There's a bit in our Calendar FAQ that they refer to:

Why are you charging for this plugin? 

There are a few reasons:

• We feel we can solve a lot of specific problems with the combination of events, people, projects (JIRA applications) and content. Atlassian sees this plugin working alongside your personal meeting or events calendar.
  • Not every customer needs a team calendaring solution. Hence, by not bundling Team Calendars with Confluence, it doesn't increase the cost of Confluence for those customers who aren't going to use it.
  • The old plugin was not maintained or supported. In contrast, Team Calendars is maintained and supported moving forward.

I recommend having a read through the linked conversation and feel free to add to it!

Take care,

Shannon

Jay_Roberts April 15, 2020

Shannon,

Thank you for the response, and the link discusses the same aspect which I am.  How is it possible to offer a project management software suite without a calendar built in?  What projects do not require calendars for tracking.  

• Not every customer needs a team calendaring solution.  Every single project involves some aspect of a timeline, which a calendar would be useful for.
  • The old plugin was not maintained or supported. In contrast, Team Calendars is maintained and supported moving forward.  That is a failure of Atlassian as a company, not the end user.

Regardless of how big your team/company is, calendars/scheduling is part of project management and to ask customers to pay extra for such a basic feature is ridiculous.  Your response solves nothing and provides no justification for lacking standard project management tools.  It seems as releases get pushed out Atlassian removes basic and offers plug ins for sale.  

Shrey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2020

Thanks Jay for your feedback.

Team Calendar plugin, as mentioned by Shannon, solves a number of problems (including integration with Jira) and hence it is a paid plugin.

For simpler needs, you can embed an external calendar (e.g. Google calendar) in an iFrame within a Confluence page. You can simply do that by selecting iFrame macro from the + button on a page.

Like Shannon S likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events