Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your best way to have a calendar without a calendar feature?

Helge February 12, 2019

I have to work on many different client systems on-premise which do not support the calendar plugin (i.e. they do not have it installed and won't install it).

But to coordinate a calendar is so helpful. What is your workaround to have a calendar in confluence without the need to activate some calendar feature?

Basically the calendar should IMHO come for free in the product. Everyone needs it, so why a plugin?

4 answers

1 vote
Jennifer McVicker July 29, 2020

I just got around this limitation today by creating a google calendar and embedding it into Confluence using the iframe macro. We also use Zapier for some automation tasks, so I was able to set up a simple workflow that would add or update calendar items automatically based on due date.

Steve Eckhart October 30, 2020

Thank you for the suggestion. I did the same thing using an Outlook calendar.

Like John McDonald likes this
Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2022

Hi Steve,

Could you please share the steps on how to get Outlook calendar into Confluence page?

Thanks,

Zaldy

Like # people like this
0 votes
Pooja Gopal October 5, 2021

Hey @Helge Could you just elaborate more on how you added the calendar to your confluence . My organization do not allow for google calendar or any calendars in Confluence for now

0 votes
Susan Mulrooney March 6, 2019

We actually were converting a SharePoint calendar and couldn't work out how to do all the things needed in Confluence.  Then we had an epiphany - a calendar is just a LIST of events, se we went with the table solution.  This has give us great leeway to pull data and pivot as it is more difficult for Confluence to see a calendar as a table (list).

0 votes
Rambabu Patina _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2019

Hi @Helge,

Usually, Team Calendars not needed for every customer. And it is well maintained and supported by the Atlassian, unlike other old add-ons.

Please view the question and answer at the Why are you charging for this plugin? , hope it answers your question.

Thanks,
Ram.

Helge February 13, 2019

Yeah thank you for your input, but this is actually an RTFM answer. I know that I can point IT towards a manual how to install the Calendar Plugin... the issue is they won't.

I know https://confluence.atlassian.com/teamcal/install-team-calendars-241566248.html and it does not help.

This thing should imho be enabled/deployed by default on every instance of Confluence Server.

WORKAROUND

My approach to solve this issue right now is by misusing the table elements. See following screenshot.

confluence_calendar_using_a_table.png

Like Lasse Bencke likes this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

I hadn't thought of using a table. In our case, we only needed to publish it for information purposes, not to be edited by the users within Confluence, so I created it in Word and used the Office Word Macro.

Helge February 13, 2019

@Dharma Ramos yeah I guess you could also try to work with MS Word. But since I cannot know if everyone on the project has a valid Word License, I prefer having things depending on Confluence only.

This way everyone can edit/manipulate the calendar and add information to it, which helps the project to stay up-to-date.

Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

@HelgeThey would only need to have a valid license if they are going to edit it. To view, they don't even need to have Word installed:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/office-word-macro-375849176.html

Like Helge likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events