Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence: Best approach to upgrade SQL Server from 2008 to 2014

Arno van Hemert November 9, 2017

Atthe moment we're running Confluence on SQL Server 2008. As this is already out of support since Confluence 5.8 I mant to migrate to SQL Server 2014. On documentation sites I see several ways to do this migration. Which way is the best proven?

2 answers

2 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

Depends. Is the DB on the same server as Confluence or a different server?

Th DB is on the same sever.

Arno van Hemert November 10, 2017

We're talking about an inplace upgrade on the same machine from SQL Server 2008R2 to SQl Server 2014.

The question is; do I need to run all steps from the documentation when I only plan to update from 2008 R2 to 2014

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2017

No, you should not need to do all that. All you need to do is upgrade SQL Server. If the machine\instance doesn't change and neither does the database user and passwords Confluence should be just fine with it. However, before you do that make sure to stop Confluence. Also, take a backup of the database and Confluence home folder ... just in case. Better yet if you are on a virtual machine take a snapshot of the server prior to upgrading SQL so that you can rollback if need be.

1 vote
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2017

I indeed read that documentation. Does it means I also need to do a reinstall of Confluence into a new directory? Why is that?

Step 4. Install Confluence (same version number) in a new location

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2017

That document is referring to moving Confluence to another server.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events