Confluence: Best approach to upgrade SQL Server from 2008 to 2014

Atthe moment we're running Confluence on SQL Server 2008. As this is already out of support since Confluence 5.8 I mant to migrate to SQL Server 2014. On documentation sites I see several ways to do this migration. Which way is the best proven?

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Davin Studer Community Champion Nov 09, 2017

Depends. Is the DB on the same server as Confluence or a different server?

Th DB is on the same sever.

We're talking about an inplace upgrade on the same machine from SQL Server 2008R2 to SQl Server 2014.

The question is; do I need to run all steps from the documentation when I only plan to update from 2008 R2 to 2014

Davin Studer Community Champion Nov 10, 2017

No, you should not need to do all that. All you need to do is upgrade SQL Server. If the machine\instance doesn't change and neither does the database user and passwords Confluence should be just fine with it. However, before you do that make sure to stop Confluence. Also, take a backup of the database and Confluence home folder ... just in case. Better yet if you are on a virtual machine take a snapshot of the server prior to upgrading SQL so that you can rollback if need be.

I indeed read that documentation. Does it means I also need to do a reinstall of Confluence into a new directory? Why is that?

Step 4. Install Confluence (same version number) in a new location

Davin Studer Community Champion Nov 10, 2017

That document is referring to moving Confluence to another server.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

590 views 7 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you