Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence 4.3 Task Lists vs. Tasklist macro

Jamie Ide January 23, 2013

I'm confused about the overlap between the new Confluence 4.3 Task List feature and the Tasklist macro. The macro has more features but does not support notifications as far as I can tell. Why does Confluence support two different types of task lists? Are there plans to merge features?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

Hello Jamie,

I did a bit of poking around on this issue today. It looks like the tasklist macro is a more legacy implemetation of tasklist within Confluence. It captures more information like priority and date of creation. It also predates the notification in Confluence which is likely why the Tasklist macro does not push notifications. I would immagine that we are still supporting this macro in current releases of Confluence so as to not strand those users that use this macro.

A quick search of our Issue tracker doesn't seem to point towards a future integration point for these two items. I would be happy to file an improvement request on your behalf to see if we can merge the functionality of these two task keepers.

Jamie Ide January 29, 2013

Thanks for the answer. My tester and I went back and forth a few times on this when we were evaluating 4.3 because we were looking at different task lists. Rolling this out to users has been confusing as well.

0 votes
Sean King
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

With the new 4.3 task lists you can create new tasks on any page and @mention a user to automatically notify that user and add the task to their notification menu. That user can then in turn check it off in their notification menu or the page where the task was created and the opposite will also show completed.

The old task list macro doesn't have this capability.

0 votes
Matt
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

Task List has better vista for future.

Probably Atlassian will put more effort to make it more powerfull.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events