Companion is installed but still being prompted to download companion when trying to edit a document

Deleted user July 12, 2021

Companion is installed and running but still being prompted to download companion when trying to edit a document. I am accessing confluence on Chrome. 

2 answers

0 votes
Alex K
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2021

Hi @[deleted] ,

Could you please check if there are any errors in the Companion log file? The log file can be accessed by clicking the tray icon and selecting "View Logs". See also this KB article describing how to access the log file.

Given that Companion is running but is not connecting, it might be silently failing with an error that will only be visible in the logs. Please look for any log messages that are prepended with "error: ". 

In particular, if Companion is failing at the point that you describe, this could indicate an authentication issue. In that case you would see an error in the logs such as: 

error: adc:websocket:auth YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS.SSSZ Authentication failed! 

Regards,
Alex 

0 votes
Jessica
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2021

Hello Chantelle,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community! I hope you're doing well. 

I could replicate the behavior, although my Companion app is currently installed.
However, that only happens when it is closed and not running on the background.

With that in mind, just to double confirm, would you be able to open it manually and try editing the file again?

Just asking this, as often I forget to open the Companion app the download message pop ups, even though it is installed on my machine. 

If it is already running when you try to edit the file though, please let me know! It would be useful to know your OS as well. :)

Cheers,
Jessica

Deleted user July 14, 2021

The companion app was running I checked. It had something to do with my laptop's clock being out of sync. I manually reset the clock and this resolved the issue. 

Like # people like this
Jessica
Atlassian Team
July 14, 2021

Hey Chantelle,

Glad to hear the clock sync did the trick! 
Thank you for sharing your resolution and updating us here. We'll keep this one in mind! wink

Cheers,
Jessica

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events