Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Companion app keeps displaying the "trust" message and does not launch, but only for one user.

Marisa January 18, 2019

Hi, we've recently upgraded and a lot of users installed the Companion app successfully. One user however never gets past the message that asks to trust the application and we also cannot launch the app from the taskbar or open it when we double click the icon from the desktop. He uses the latest version of Chrome and Windows 7. I don't know why this would only be an issue on his PC or how to fix it, as the proxy and firewall settings are obviously the same. 

3 answers

0 votes
Sturla Holand March 9, 2019

Hi

I am experiencing the same problem. I get the Trust message, which leads to the Atlassian infp-page. And the Companion app will not start manually.

We have upgraded to 6.14.2 today and i'm verifying the Confluence installation. Evrythings fine except this. For the first user to try, this was ok. For the second, me, it's not.

I have previously installed the Companiaon app from a Confluence-test installation. Worked fine.

This is a company pc, Windows 10,  I'm not windows admin so I cant't uninstall, at least not on a saturday. Is there any other way to re-initialise?

Best regards Sturla

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2019

Sturla,

You can try Marisa's suggestions from the other thread, minus the uninstallation, but it's likely you will actually need to completely install to get it to initialise:

What worked for us was uninstalling everything, clearing the installation directories, then going into Chrome and choose "Restore settings to original default" to ensure there are no popup blockers before reinstalling the plugin. We then managed to get the Trust window on the user's PC. 

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Marisa January 21, 2019

Hi Shannon, thanks so much for the answer. We tried to a couple of times (in different ways actually) but no success. For some reason the app just doesn't seem to work on his PC. 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2019

Marisa,

Can you confirm which method he used to install the Companion App? I asked previously if he completely uninstalls it and re-installs it, does it work?

In regards to the trust message, could you share with me the exact screenshot of what you're referring to? I believe you might be referring to this message:

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 10.59.59 AM.png

When he clicks Trust does the message continue to return? If not, could you have him turn off Companion and turn it back on again and see if he gets the message anymore?

When clicking Cancel on this screen 5 times, the domain is blacklisted. You can check if there are any blacklists by clicking on the Companion App icon in the System Tray.

Regards,

Shannon

Marisa January 22, 2019

Hi @Shannon S,

My apologies, what I meant to say was that we have tried to install and uninstall a couple of times, from Confluence by clicking on the link; uninstalled; from the page in your knowledge base by downloading and installing; uninstalled; deleting the atlassian-companion directory and reinstalling both ways again after restarting the entire PC. We've also already tried installing using the "Run as administrator" option. 

After each install he gets the message displayed on the screen shot that you pasted above. When we click on the Companion App in the system tray it doesn't launch either. When we look for the exe and double click, it also does not launch. It's almost as if though the app does not install correctly or at all. 

Marisa January 22, 2019

no trust message.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 23, 2019

Marisa,

Could you have the user open the Companion App directly on the task bar and see if there's an option to trust there? It should be there, and not in the browser.

Shannon

Marisa January 29, 2019

Hi @Shannon S

like I said, it simply does not launch at all so we cannot open it from there either. We cannot open the app at all to enable trust. 

The user got this message recently although our central server manages time on our individual machines. We are going to see if our IT department can sort out the time issue on this users' computer and if it will make a difference. I will let you know the result. We are also going to attempt clearing the plugin cache and restarting our Confluence server. I will post on the forum if any of those work. 

companion message.jpg

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 29, 2019

Marisa,

Thank you for confirming that. It's still odd to me that it wouldn't be generating logs to give us a better idea of what's happening here.

I'm very interested to know the result of your time issue investigation and if clearing the cache helps. It might help to clear your local caches as well.

Please get back to me when you have more information, and if it doesn't work, we'll proceed with the next step, which is escalating it to a support ticket.

Regards,

Shannon

Marisa February 1, 2019

@Shannon S, we've completed the clearing of our plugin cache, rebuilt the indexes and restarted our Confluence server. The user also got the time issue fixed, but still gets the message to enable trust without being able to open the app. He gave me the info from companion.log. I'll copy them in here:

Let me know if I can perhaps send them to anyone. Or is there a way to convert this into a support request?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 1, 2019

Hi Maria,

Yes, I'd like to see those log files so I have created a support ticket for you to send them through.

Please check your email, and you will find a ticket creation confirmation.

You can reply directly with the log files from the Companion App. Please also attach a copy of your Confluence Support Zip to that case.

As soon as you are able to resolve the issue with support, please feel free to come back here and let us know what the resolution was, so we can help other users.

Regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2019

Marisa,

I heard that your user was able to resolve the problem on his end. I see another user in a thread below is having the same issue. Were you able to find out how the user was able to resolve it?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Atlassian-Companion-plugin-issue/qaq-p/972847

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 21, 2019

Hi Marisa,

Could you have that user uninstall Companion App, and re-install it again, manually? 

Let us know how that works.

Regards,

Shannon

Marisa March 7, 2019

Hi @Shannon S

I think our problem might have been twofold. Our internal IT department sets our PC times through the server. For some reason this one user had a different time and they had to fix the time on his PC. When this was fixed, the companion app launched correctly using Firefox but still not when using Chrome. 

He then uninstalled and cleared everything again (did this a couple of times) but then went into Chrome and chose the "Restore settings to original defaults" to make sure all popup blockers are disabled too. He then reinstalled and it worked. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events