Common Error: "There was an error processing the request."

Brent Kepler November 18, 2019

Background

We locally host our Confluence site on two servers. We're still working to migrate back to one effective server that syncs/publishes for backup to the second.

Problem

I'm able to update the content on one, and we must have a sync of sorts happening, because when I log into the second server to make the same updates, upon editing the page, the edits I made on the first server appear here. So in a sense, they're already syncing, but not publishing automatically yet.

Saving the page updates works sometimes, but lately, I've been frequently receiving the error "There was an error processing the request."

Research / Testing Done

A search of other posts about this topic led me to the Atlassian page that indicates how to deal with this issue, but my results when looking at the Network data are different than published on this page - most notably at "Confirm the following 4 items exist under General and Response Headers" - differences in my results are:

• General > Status Code: 400
    • I know this typically relates to a bad request, but I have no information about what's wrong with the request.
  • Response > Server: this line doesn't exist at all

Logs?

I'm also finding others were told to look at the logs, but I'm unable to locate the logs - I don't know if I actually have access to them, as I'm an "admin" in Confluence, but don't manage the servers.

I've attempted to reference {ourwebserver:port}/logs/atlassian-confluence.log takes me to a 404, though maybe I'm just getting the <confluence home> piece of this incorrect from the start.

2 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2019

I've attempted to reference {ourwebserver:port}/logs/atlassian-confluence.log takes me to a 404, though maybe I'm just getting the <confluence home> piece of this incorrect from the start.

You misunderstood this.

Confluence are not available via an URL, but they are located in the Confluence server's filesystem, in the Confluence home directory.

But, you are approaching this correctly: find the log file and have a look into that! It may have more details about the root cause of your problem.

Brent Kepler November 19, 2019

Thanks for the advice here - I'll coordinate with my system admin to get access to the logs.

0 votes
Kiran Panduga {Appfire}
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2019

Hi @Brent Kepler , 

As an admin to the confluence instance, can you check if the Collaborative editing feature is running?

To confirm, go to Confluence Administration --> Collaborative Editing --> verify the Editing mode and Synchrony Status.

Screenshot 2019-11-19 at 12.29.42 PM.png

If the status shows as above, then we can rule out the issue is not with Collaborative Editing, else we need to resolve the Synchrony issue by reviewing the Home directory logs.

<Confluence_Home _directory>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log

Thanks,

Kiran.

Brent Kepler November 19, 2019

Looks like Editing is on and Synchrony is running.

I'll coordinate with my system admin to get access to the logs. Thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events