Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning Confluence instances on the same server

Sue Hallwood November 8, 2011

My client would like to implement 10 clones of their current Confluence for different departments as they sign up for a wiki. can we copy the Wiki with all the spaces and custom theme template in place, remove the data and make them work independently with their own ip addresses i.e. wiki 1, wiki2, etc. These wikis will all reside on the same server. How will this affect memory?

I suspect that they will each need license.

2 answers

0 votes
Sue Hallwood November 9, 2011

When I say department I mean the same affiliation in a different city so they need their own spaces and content but the same administrators. It is for the YMCA. Currently they have a wiki for YMCA Canada and another wiki for the YMCA of greater Toronto. They want to implement more wikis for other YMCAs.

0 votes
justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2011

I hate to answer the question with a question, but why would you want to do this? Confluence has very good security policies where, in your case, you could create 10 spaces on ONE Confluence, and setup permissions so that only members of certain groups can view/edit content in said space. To the end-user, the result would be the same--the would only see and work in one delegated area. If the client needs friendly URL (eg: dept1.company.com, dept2.company.com), you can use an HTTPd frontend like Apache to handle that. This would also ease any overhead for administrative management, licensing, plugins, and upgrades.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events