Checked task become unchecked when editing a page

Auke_Miedema March 2, 2020

We notice that sometimes task that are checked on a page become unchecked when the page is edited. Can anyone explain why this happens? Problem is: sometimes tasks are not affected 

5 answers

2 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2020

Hi,

because there is collaborative editing activated & in the shared draft the task has been unchecked & the draft has not been published.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-do-drafts-work-on-confluence-938043306.html

Best

JP

Gabriel Ruprecht
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 21, 2020

Hi, 

that doesn't work. I either get a warning or a correct result. 

We still get unchecked tasks, no collaborative editing, not repoducable by us, but occurs.

Pieter Smith July 25, 2021

Hi @JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_ ,

I also noticed that this is primarily caused by collaborative editing:

1. Somebody starts to edit the page. Oops that is not what he / she wanted, and clicks close. A collaborative edit draft is then kept in Confluence.
  2. Subsequently someone checks off a task next to their name in view mode.
  3. Later someone updates the page, starting from the previously created draft (which precedes the checkbox), and publishes. That someone is now unwittingly overwriting the previously checked checkbox.

The problem IMHO, is that setting a checkbox in view mode, should do the sane thing from a UX perspective (i.e., check the box on the latest published version of the page, AND check the box in the unpublished draft). This would avoid unsuspecting editors from unintentionally unchecking tasks.

This is a really big problem for our page review flows (that make use of tasks to indicate completion), and meeting / retrospective action point management. Is there any way we can get this prioritized and fixed?

1 vote
Marc Minten _EVS_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2020

Hi, we have exactly the same issue. Tasks sometimes get unchecked after editing a page. Not reproducable, just one of many tasks gets unchecked...

Anyone more info ?

Is there already an issue registered for this ?

Marc Minten _EVS_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2020

I raised a support ticket in mean time (CSP-282047).

I think it would help if everybody raises this issue to Altassian Support, so they understand there is really an issue. That cannot be reproduced easily unfortunately...

Like Gabriel Ruprecht likes this
Guillaume F.
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 10, 2020

Hello Marc,

I have the same problem.  How was your ticket resolved ? What is your version of Confluence ? We are running 7.4.4.

I know for a fact that it has nothing to do with collaborative editing in my case because I have seen the behavior on pages that I am the only one that has access to them because of permissions.

Marc Minten _EVS_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2020

Hi, the issue is not solved yet.

We could trace down all occurrences to a combination of checking a task without editing the page, and using collaborative editing while keeping draft pages open for a long time.

Anyway, if you have a similar issue (with maybe another cause), you SHOULD open a support ticket to raise Atlassian's attention to this!

Like Guillaume F. likes this
0 votes
David Maye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2021

Hi everybody,

This does appear to be a bug in Confluence (7.x.x versions), which appears to center around 'draft' and 'current' task states. We have a bug ticket opened already which you can find here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-59900

If you are affected, I urge you to click the 'This affects my team' button at the top of right of the page and 'watch' the page going forward for any new updates.

Cheers,
-David Maye
Atlassian Confluence, Crowd & HipChat Server/Data Center Enterprise Support Engineer II

0 votes
PaikLabs
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 11, 2021

We have same problem. 

0 votes
Sebastian Butterweck October 28, 2020

We've got that issue too. Was able to reproduce it twice, but I dont know how exactly I did that and what causes it. Contacted Atlassian support.

Anyone got a helpful answer yet?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events