Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change the space name with free account

M Bun November 10, 2019

Hello there,

Just to get things right, I created a space and now I would like to rename it, not the space key, I was able to find the space settings, but I have no buttons or visible actions where I can change the space name. So renaming is also restricted in free account?

Just kinda find it weird for limiting this function for free account if that's the case.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2019

Hey all, thanks for using Confluence Cloud Free!

@Kiran Panduga {Appfire} 's answer on renaming a space is correct. There aren't limits on renaming spaces in Cloud free.

However, there is currently a bug with how the onboarding wizard sets permissions on the first space that's created in the site. Because of the bug, the very first space created (which the wizard makes during site creation) isn't administrable. We're working on fixing this up and when it's patched, all Free instances should be able to modify that first space again. You can track progress on this bug at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-68319.

For @[deleted] specifically, renaming the space doesn't affect the space key. On Cloud, there's no supported way to change the space key (the all-caps characters that appear in the URL). What you can do is create a new space and copy all the content from the old space to a new space that has the desired key. The quickest way to do that is with a plugin - Copy Space for Confluence by Artemis Software . On the free end of things, you can manually move all the pages one at a time with Confluence's built-in Move function. Depending on how many pages are in the space, moving them individually might be easy.

Hope that helps clarify things!

Cheers,
Daniel

Deleted user November 27, 2019

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the follow-up, resolved my issue using the workaround to get permissions, then realised I could created a new space and move all the content, as you suggested above.

Richard

0 votes
Kiran Panduga {Appfire}
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2019

Hi @M Bun ,

In Confluence Cloud, Free account, you should be able to edit the Space Name. Go to Space Settings --> Overview --> Space Details --> Edit Space Details

Please refer the below screenshot.

Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 11.50.52 AM.png

Thanks,

Kiran.

M Bun November 10, 2019

Hi Kiran, I thought so, but here's my current view, there's no edit button.

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 3.47.29 PM.png

Alist November 11, 2019

Hi @M Bun , 

Looks like you do not have the Admin permissions for the space. User with space admin permission will be able to edit the space name.

Thanks,

Kiran.

M Bun November 11, 2019

Hi there, I was able to solve the problem by creating a new space, the new space gives me ability to modify the space name.

However, the initial space was created thru an introduction guide when I sign up Confluence, I wasn't added to the space admin. I'd say this is more like a bug? 

Anyhow, I temporarily upgraded to the standard plan and deleted this initial space after that, I downgraded to the free one. Now I can create space and modify space name just what I expected.

Thanks!

Deleted user November 15, 2019

Experienced the same issue – surely this is not expected behaviour and therefore a bug?

Good tip on the temporary upgrade though!

Like M Bun likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events