Cannot add new users to confluence-admin

David Buttrick June 17, 2012

confluence-admin is a group that is in the Confluence built-in directory, and I am trying to add users to that directory, but I cannot.

We have Active Driectory for our user directory.

So, the order of user directories is:

* Our AD Server

* Confluence Builtin Directory

When i try to add a user to the confluence-admin group, nothing happens. I suspect that this is because Confluence is trying to update that group in Active Directory, which does not exist there, but cant update the Confluence local dir.

What tdo I need to do to allow adding users to the confluence-admin group?

Thanks.

4 answers

0 votes
René Herrmann June 27, 2012

Also if @CharlesH [Free spirit] already noted that it is possibly not the directory order, give it a try and switch the order. The docs say

Changes to users and groups will be made only in the first directory where the application has permission to make changes.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Managing+Multiple+Directories

Sreekar Achanta October 3, 2013

Hey Septa Cahyadiputra ,

Your suggestion worked like a charm for me. thanks a lot.

Thanks,

Sreekar.

Sagar Sagiraju October 3, 2013

Hey Septa Cahyadiputra ,

Your suggestion worked like a charm for me. thanks a lot.

Thanks,

Sreekar.

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2012

Hi David,

Could you please double check if the user directories configured is currently set to have "Read Only, with Local Group" permission.

With this permission, you should be able to access your "confluence-administrators" group from "Manage Group" menu and try to add the users from there.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2012
Even if the user is a domain user, not a built-in user account, you should still be able to add them to the admin group. I doubt very much that you have a group called confluence-administrators in your domain, so there should be no clash or confusion there. Also, the order of user directories is unlikely to be the problem in my opinion. Can the user you want to add actually login to Confluence okay? I'd check that first.
David Buttrick June 19, 2012

Everyone can login just fine. But I cannot add new users to the confluence-admin group I think that this is because the directory that holds it does not know anything about the users in our AD Domain, so when I try to add a user from there, the add just fails.

I do not get an error messge, I just dont see the user added to the list.

Thanks.

Joan Roth December 10, 2013

Hi David,

Did you get a resolution to this? I have the same configuration and same problem. I previously added users to our confluence-administrtators group but now that I have AD added as a user directory in JIRA I cannot add anyone to the confluence-administrators group.

Steve Blevins

ACR

0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2012
Does the user you're trying to add definitely have an email address defined? This could be the blocker. Also suggest checking your log file for signs of an issue at the time you add the user to the group.
David Buttrick June 18, 2012

Here's what I forgot: The users that I am trying to add to confluene-admin are part of our domain. That is probably the problem.

Is there a way to make a group in our domain that has the same super powers as confluence-admin in the local confluence directory?

Like Dmitriy Gerasimov likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events