Can you search an embedded word document?

Juliette Smith August 17, 2015

I embedded a word document and then tried to search for a few phrases from that document, but nothing came back from my search. Are you not able to search within an embedded document? This seems strange to me since you can search within attached PDFs.

1 answer

1 vote
Thiago Zandona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2015

Hi Juliette,

Yes, you should be able to find the phrases if you attached the document. Confluence will index and search the full-content of following type of attachments:

• Word (.doc)
  • Text
  • Powerpoint (.ppt)
  • Excel (.xls)
  • PDF
  • HTML

You can confirm this also at this page:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Search

If you are having issues please open a case at support.atlassian.com and we can analyse it further.

Cheers

Juliette Smith August 17, 2015

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, I see that you can search within attached documents, but my question is if you can search an embedded document. I imported a Word Doc and then used the Office Word macro to embedded the document. Since it is embedded, it is not just an attachment that has to be opened. Instead, it almost like an image of the document. It seems as if I cannot search the embedded document.

Like Virgilio likes this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2015

If you are using the Word macro then you are displaying an attached word file. That is what the word macro does. Importing is actually a different process that created a native wiki page from a Word document. In either case you should be able to search for the data. One thing to note is if you attach a document to a page depending upon your system it could take a little while for it to show up in search results as the document must be indexed first.

Like Virgilio likes this
Virgilio February 12, 2019

but if i have a lot oc curriculum embedded in a confluence page and i search all the users that known css technologie(for example) and i type "css" and the confluence return much results than users because in some cv the word css appear much than one and i can't count the number of users that knows css technology because i can sort the results or maybe don't diplay duplicate results. i need to finnish that task in short time. Please help me. Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events