Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you embed an excel file with macros in the excel file?

andrew paquette December 18, 2012

I've been working with JIRA and Confluence for 2 years now, and over the past year i've been working with Office 2010. I've been using Confluence with Excel 2010 over that time, and have had no issues with it(even though I believe I read excel up to 2007 is supported). I'm trying to embed an excel file with multiple worksheets(although I only need 1 work sheet to show) and macros embedded onto confluence so everyone can see the data instead of it just being on my local machine. After a few hours of trying to get this to work, I just am unable to do so. The excel file is attached to the page and is being reference correctly but i'm getting a StackOverflowError everytime.

I attached an image of the wikimarkup and how it previews. I spent time searching through Atlassian's JIRA and online but i've been unable to find any use cases of anyone trying to embed an excel sheet that has macros in it. Does anyone know if this is either possible or not? If anyone has a link to a JIRA issue or a spec talking about this it would help a great deal.

The old QA tester in me feels that I should have enough info here, but please let me know if you need more info and i'd be happy to provide what I can. I have tested it with different excel sheets and have not ran into any issues. Thank you in advance.

5 answers

0 votes
Scott Paden May 15, 2020

(This is not an answer, it's another question.)

It's been 8 years since this question was asked and I still don't see a good solution.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  In short, I need a way to do spreadsheet like calculations and embed functions like (sum, (c2+b2)/2, etc) combined with jira macros like "https://myjira/browse/brd-111" so that I see the status of BRD-111 in the same line with spreadsheet data. 

I am happy to do this in confluence or excel.  My problem is that I have folks that want to use excel and the confluence table features (even in May 2020 are still very limited compared to excel.)  I'm on the cusp of getting project managers excited but they can't do their own additional tracking and comparison in confluence tables.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2012

Ah, daily sales, then I guess JIRA may or may not be the right one :)

Couple of points:

• We had a similar phase earlier (while it was not sales), when we migrated to JIRA. Someone should be ready to do some excel and JIRA REST/SOAP programming to do a single migration of the data into JIRA. Do multiple iterations of import to a test project. Do some pilots.
  • And also take the time to configure JIRA to match the current fields in Excel sheet.
  • Minimize the workflow steps if it is just for recording the sales.

I guarantee you, the effort is worth it :)

0 votes
andrew paquette December 27, 2012

I do use JIRA a very large amount of time, unfortunately this spreadsheet I have to maintain has been going since 2008(long before we got JIRA) so i'm kind of in a bind. Also, it's just daily sales numbers and stats but for dozens and sozens of fields/products. So JIRA doesn't really seem like the correct tool to be used for this unfortunately(I wish JIRA was an option because i'm much better with JIRA then I am with Confluence and Excel sheets)

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2012

Don't mind this comment. It is probably high time that you move away from xls based issue management and move to something which is really collaborative in nature, like JIRA. Which will avoid mostly hours of effort trying to capture and make the Excel reports ready manually.

0 votes
andrew paquette December 19, 2012

can anyone please provide any insight on this please?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events