Can't login to confluence after moving to a new URL

Hello guys,

we love Confluence and work with it on a daily basis. We have a problem and it would be awesome if you could help us out.

What was:

- we had Jira and Confluence running on one server with different ports

- we moved both to a new URL

- we installed a web server in order to get rid of the port numbers (confluence.domain.com:8080 —> confluence.domain.com)

What is:

Jira works fine - we had to do a reindexing. That was pretty easy and everything works fine.

Confluence doesn’t work. We can open up the login page but it is not letting us login with our normal users. We can only login with one test user (this account was setup when we first installed it). But we can’t do anything - it says you have no permission…

I looked through forums and found some post regarding the server.xml but this didn't help. Maybe you guys could give us some hints that we can solve the problem. Any help is much appreciated because we want to start working on our specification again. :)

Thank you very much,

Philippe

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Accepted answer

Hi Philippe,

How did you manage users in Confluence before the URL change? From what you say I guess you had setup JIRA to work as a User Directory for Confluence. If this is the case you may have broken the user directory for Confluence when you updated the JIRA URL. Are the IP addresses changed? In that case you definitely need to recreate the connection between JIRA and Confluence

What you need to do is recreate this JIRA User Server. Please look at this page for details.

You mention that you can login using an account created during install. This account is located in the Confluence Internal Directory which makes it possible to use when the other user directories are unavaiable. Is this an admin account? (I hope)

If not, you need to make it an admin account to be able to perform the above stuff. Follow this instruction to recreate an internal admin account.

I recommend that you always have an admin account in the internal directory for situations like this. Make sure you keep the account name and password in a safe place so that you can access your application even though the world around is down.

I hope this can help you!

Cheers,

// Svante

No problemo!

Glad to help!

Cheers,

// Svante

Thank you a lot Svante,

that helped. We got in with the admin acoount and then we were able to fix some links between jira and confluence. It is exactly how you described it. We broke the User directory for confluence. I just updated the url in several menus: General configuration, User directory and Application links. Most important for the users were the User directory of course.

Great and thanks again! :)

1 vote

Hi!

I believe this has something to do with the webserver since the issue started after these changes, correct? If possible, try to reach the confluence server locally and go to localhost:8080, then try to login again.

If that fails, then I recommend to have a look in the last information of logs and paste here what you can find there related to the login. :)

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Huhu Rodrigo,

thank you for your fast reply. We will check and i post as soon as i have some news.

Thanks,

Philippe

thx again but Svantes Post helped us

UPDATE FOR OTHERS SEARCHING FOR THIS SOLUTION

We've just recently changed URLs on both Jira and Confluence (where Confluence was using Jira as a User Directory) and there's a way to directly make a database change for this to work found in this post:

Cannot log into Confluence after moving servers

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,174 views 20 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you