Can't embed Team Calendar on page

Peter Natale September 18, 2019

Hi All

I am trying to embed a team calendar on a page within confluence. If I go to the 'Calendars' area of the space i can create calendars and events no problem but when i try to embed it fails. 

image.png

1. Using the 'Embed' link from the Calendar edited onto the page just puts a link on the page

image.png

2. Inserting the 'Team Calendar Macro' does not give me the Add New Calendar, Subscribe to Existing Calendar etc window interface, it just asks for a Calendar in the macro edit window. If you add this you get a blank calendar that says 'You have not created or subscribed to any calendars', even if i use the same name. 

image.png

I am using Confluence Cloud trial version and a trial of Team Calendars on Chrome. 

Thanks!

Peter

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2019

Hello there, @Peter Natale!

Thank you for pointing out this unexpected behaviour. Embedding a calendar can be a quite useful tool. Be it when we create pages for events or need to organise scheduled workflow documentation.

I was able to replicate your issue quite easily. With this in mind, I could find a bug report that deals with this situation. Here, take a look:

I encourage you to vote and watch this issue. Voting can help increase the issue visibility and watching will keep you up to date with everything posted there!

Currently, the workaround I could come up with involves iFrames and is far from perfect. But here you go:

1. Create a new page
  2. If using the new editor, be sure to click the <- -> symbol right under the publish button
    1. this will set the page width to full
  3. Insert the iFrame Macro
  4. In the iFrame source, insert the calendar embedding link
  5. Set the Width of the macro to be 100%
  6. Set the height to be something that shows all calendar (I settled for 700px)
  7. Save the macro
  8. Publish the page

The downside of this workaround is that the whole calendar page will be added to your newly created page. Here is what it looks like on my instance:

MyPC.png

Hope my answer helps you out, Peter! Looking forward to your reply.

Peter Natale September 22, 2019

Thanks Diego

I have voted and added comment to the issue. Its more than minor, this issue destroys the business case for Team Calendars as a paid add on. The iFrame work around, as you say, is not usable and will create a negative user experience.

I guess i just have to wait or find an alternate product.

Cheers

Peter

Evan Gordon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 7, 2019

This "workaround" is actually not worth implementing. The calendar is not readable or at all useful presented this way. Atlassian you need to fix this. Embedding calendars should be a simple task. 

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2019

Hi @Evan Gordon ,

A workaround for this issue has been added to the bug ticket just yesterday. Can you kindly test if it works for you as well?

Workaround

As a workaround, it has been confirmed that that the user can paste the calendar ID on the calendar field (for example, 2307a1bb-a01b-4b23-a470-5783d8b8e29b):

1. Go to the desired calendar to be added.
  2. On the URL, make sure to only copy the ID (in our example, 2307a1bb-a01b-4b23-a470-5783d8b8e29b)
  3. Open a page and include the macro
  4. Paste the ID on the "Calendar" field
  5. Tap the preview button and then, save the configuration.

Cheers,
Dario

Like # people like this
Evan Gordon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 24, 2019

YES! it works. Thanks Dario. Just to clarify for other people:

• In step 3, you you must use the "team calendars" macro instead of the "iframes" macro as suggested above. 
  • This workaround works! 

Thanks so much! 

Dario B
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2019

Thanks for confirming @Evan Gordon ! I am happy to know it helped.

@Peter Natale  I forgot to mention you before so I am not sure you saw the message. Have you tried the workaround already? 

Peter Natale October 24, 2019

@Dario B  Yes i tested this and it does work. It is fiddly though and not something i would push out to my user base, it would create resistance. It's something i will setup for people.

Cheers

Peter

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2019

Hi @Peter Natale ,

I know this is not optimal, but it is a temporary workaround that can be used while waiting for the bug to be fixed. 

If you haven't already done so, you may want to watch the bug ticket so that you will be notified in case of any progress. 

Cheers,
Dario

Rohan Deelen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 8, 2020

Hi All, 

I saw that this issue was reported last year. Has this been resolved? I am still having the same behaviour.

I am grateful there is a workaround, but seriously this should have been fixed by now.

Thanks, 

Rohan

Like Stéphanie La Manna likes this
Stéphanie La Manna June 2, 2020

Hi,

Issue still there.

Thanks,

Stéphanie

Gabriela Carminatti June 12, 2020

yes, I am having the same problem. How is that possible they didn't fix yet? 

Stéphanie La Manna June 12, 2020

I fixed it by using the code of the calendar (retrieve from the Embed URL). I added this code to the plug in on my page.

It fixed the issue. Now I can add any calendar to my space.

@Dario B I did the workaround and it simply says it couldn't find the ID. What's happening? 

@Stéphanie La Manna did you do it with a JIRA calendar or a Confluenze Calendar? 

Stéphanie La Manna June 12, 2020

I did it on Confluence in the "Calendar *" fields. It works. But I think at the beginning I had the same warning than you. Few days after that, I noticed that the ID calendar has been automatically converted to the real name.

Now it is fixed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events