Can't access Bitbucket or Confluence on Ubuntu 16.04

Olivia January 5, 2021

Hello,

I have a user who has an Ubuntu 16.04 machine that was in the office, and he was able to access our Confluence and Bitbucket servers fine while connected to the office network. 

He took this machine home and cannot access Confluence or Bitbucket anymore. He is connected to our VPN and sending and receiving bytes. He is able to ping both servers and receive packets.

We have tried the following:

-Adding the server as hosts in the hosts file of the machine
-IP address changed to DHCP
-Release/renewed IP address

It is still presenting the error that the webpage can't be found. Any ideas on what else we can try?

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2021

Hi @Olivia

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

While I hope during debug attempts there will be a final solution and your user will be happily using Confluence and Bitbucket afterwards - I have slightly doubts a full debug will be possible from the outside.

That being said just some rough guidelines could be given as to check firewalling on the server on why it apparently allows access by one client but not the other.

For a full diagnosis this would inquire a deep knowledge of your network and site which is likely not safe to share in a public Community.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2021

Hi @Olivia ,

I think you need to be sure where the problem is .. is it related to the system settings (Ubuntu), network (like home router settings).. or any other thing that is involved in viewing sites (like for example browser)

I suggest to start with different browser to check if behavior is the same.. then try to check different network (and same VPN connection) and another test to use home internet but on a different computer (with VPN enabled if possible.. ) .. this should give you some answers.. then you can dig in more into specific settings.

For now I guess it might be a home network router problem (like IP6 vs. IP4 or MTU limits), but without step by step troubleshooting and full picture not able to say more.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events